4 Lined Plant Bug

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
http://www.cirrusimage.com/bugs_four_lined_plant.htm

I had this bug show up last year.Noticed it first in mint plants,and then saw it on other plants.I am bracing for a worse year with these and japanese beetles.

Anyone have this bug and were you able to get rid of it? Will the hens eat this bug,or is it nasty tasting for them?

Thanks for your input!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would definitely let the chickens have a go at them!

Worse case, have you tried a insecticidal soap mix on them?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks mean! I'd squish him! Don't give it any chance to make babies! ;)

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I used some sevin powder last year.I had a sprayer and mixed the sevin with water,but clogged up the sprayer.It was great while it sprayed. The bugs were hard to catch and kill,but I did do it when I wasn't killing the japanese beetles.

Maybe someone will come up with a biological control like the wasp they are working on for the jap beetles.Until then my hope lies in the hens!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found them much easier to catch in the early morning or evening. During the day, they are too spunky and fly away!! Remember, the chickens might eat the bugs, but they will definitely eat the plants and dig in your dirt... Good luck!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry, just noticed you said "killing japanese beetles". I collect mine in a cup of water and then serve to the chickens. Nothing makes them happier. I can hear them crying when the beetle season ends!!!

Latest posts