55 Days, Green-to-Use, Ripe Tomatoes

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Collector said:
The type that all garden centers seemed to carry the most of besides early girl, were the fourth O july tomatoes has anyone tried growing them, do they work out well or not.
I grew 4th of July a couple of years ago. Bought them as a 6 pk. so I had 6 of them to deal with. Very juicy and loaded with seeds. My husband isn't supposed to have tomato seeds so it was not a good choice for us. It seemed that even running them through a food mill didn't remove all the seeds either.

If you watch your local store and see tomatoes, about 6 of them still on the vine in a cluster, that is what they are similar to. Bigger than cherries and they are early, very productive.

CJStAugustine

Sprout
Reaction score
Looks GREAT! We are in St Augustine - NE part of the state. I think we are zone 9A and had some awesome tomato plants with good looking tomatoes - BUT- the frost hit and killed off the first bunch. The second bunch of plants were killed off on the second frost even though we tarped and heated the area. We did pick the green tomatoes and I diced them up with my little processor for use in soups or salsa. :(

Our broccli survived though and finally have some heads on them. The plants are huge. We planted them from seed for the first time.

We want to build a greenhouse any ideas for us?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
With all your hot weather, do you really think you need a greenhouse? What about just using cold frames? It seems like cooling and ventilation would be such a problem, down there... a few windows and you could be starting seeds now-and then take down the cold frames, until next "winter"....

Latest posts