A Chefs Life?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone watch the PBS program "A Chefs Life"?
It features a husband and wife and their restaurant in North Carolina "The Chef and the Farmer".

I just think it's a fun twist on cooking shows (which I generally only watch out of desperate boredom).
Every episode chef Vivian goes into the field and visits one of her farmer/suppliers and you see how the crops are grown and how Vivian uses them in her seasonal menus. It's really a nice insight into how a restaurant uses local food and endeavors to educate the local patrons on different ways to use traditional
southern dishes.
Tonights episode features collards, which I have not grown, never mind prepared for a meal. :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes.

Watched it tonight. DR & her boyfriend were over. They have some interest in cooking and, it seems, have been at several restaurants over the last few days.

I saw 2 of the earlier episodes, I guess it was. A little hard to follow with captioning. All cooking shows are to an extent since captioning often obscures what is on the table or in the bowl that is getting all the attention :rolleyes:. This show seems to have a lot of unrehearsed dialog and the lady talking as she is walking away from the camera.

Pickled collard stems? That almost brings a shudder!!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I feel for you if you have to depend on captioning when you watch TV. I had an experience with it during Mom's last hospital stay, watching the TV in her room. It was amazing how badly the written words didn't match the script. Made-up words, totally out of context words, sounds-like words. It's a wonder a person can follow the script at all.
Although, I have to admit I have a difficult time following most dialog on TV, as "these young people" talk way too fast and quietly for me to catch.
I haven't been watching that particular show. Sounds kind of interesting. Most cooking shows are pretty low on my list.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The interesting bit to me is how they integrate the farmers into each episode, and show how they grow and harvest that particular crop that the chef is highlighting.
The Chef and the Farmer restaurant uses something like 70% of their menu items from local growers.
It's not scripted, and the folks shown are all just regular people.
But, yeah, some of the food is a little odd.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is just poetic licence amongst the captioning crew. You see, it starts with the scriptwriters pulling their hair out, the actors never follow what has been written for them!

You have been a part of a news story before, right? What appears on teevee or in the papers is always "1 off," anyway right? Skewed. It is best to accept others' interpretations of the events. They are all, "who ya gonna believe, me or your lying eyes?" I mean, how would I ever know?

I appreciate some of the cooking shows. There is some basis in reality. Just in contrast to the personality parade morning programs, for example.

Cook like a French chef? Jacques Pépin will show you how. If you thought you knew how to boil an egg, there is something to learn. Simple and you know it's good. I like the shows where there is travel involved. Yeah. Cooking or otherwise, have you ever noticed how they end up at the farmers' markets? Makes me suspect that people eat.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i always appreciate those chefs that also grow their own or at least show they know how to grow their own food. Jamie Oliver i can appreciate when i've seen his gardening/cooking show. dh is the chef in the house and i just grow the veggies and fruits he likes to work with. so cooking shows are his favorite to watch. currently he's been steadily watching epps of Chopped and every time a strange veggie/fruit is a feature of a dish i've been looking them up.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love gerden/cooking shows - except for this one.
P.AlenSmith.jpg

This guy makes me nuts.... I'm not sure why though

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! And, I am not too sure about that Jamie Oliver!!

There is taste in people, it seems.

Some people just don't like some personalities.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is off topic (as usual, chasing squirrels.... dug.jpg )
But has anyone seen "Chasing the Yum"? I found it while snowed in. It's pretty good.