A Chefs Life?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
All I get for garden/cooking shows is what Public Broadcasting Stations put on since I'm watching via rabbit ears antenna. I go for mostly the gardening parts. If a Chef show was advertised that included a farmer, I probably wouldn't have watched it. If a Farmer show was advertised, that included a chef, I'd be there.

P. Allen Smith has his good points, but I dislike his current From Food to Table show because he seems to cook more than garden in this one. Somehow he doesn't look like a cook. It is more like he's sharing his recent cooking lessons with us.

The only think I liked about my two, short vacations was access to cable television. I could watch DIY, cooking, woodworking, crafting, remodeling, and gardening shows all day while avoiding the gigantic mosquitoes coming in off the lake in Northern Wisconsin.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love gerden/cooking shows - except for this one.
View attachment 1254
This guy makes me nuts.... I'm not sure why though

That's funny. Maybe it's his constant use of the word "divine" as a descriptive adjective. :rolleyes:
When kid#2 was working with me, we were planting a bajillion marigolds on this one particular job, and he deadpanned a "divine" comment in a
perfect Pal N Smith voice. Had me in stitches...:)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've not seen it, but I'll check my local PBS programming to see if they carry it. Sounds interesting!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle', I wanted to see what Rick Bayless has on the net but it doesn't seem to be so much his garden-fresh cooking but his beach lounging. No, I should not criticize because he does explain and enthuse over the food!

Chefs a'field (link) get out there amongst the plants! It is just that the most recent episode had to do with harvesting Puget sound mussels.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite ironic memory of cooking shows is about 25 years ago, when I was a single mom, eating Kraft Mac & cheese with my son, while watching "The Galloping Gourmet" on TV. I think his name was Graham Kerr. His shtick was to drink way more wine than he put in his cooking.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some cooking shows....leave alot to be desired.
Now collard greens ...otoh.....if they are cooked right.....are "divine". My husband won't touch 'em though. He has his weird points too.....not eating anything cooked green leaves for one thing. Pffft.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm all for leafy greens! If for no other reason than that they are the easiest, quickest things for me to grow! Okay, I haven't done much of it lately (should be doing it now!) but I'm pretty good with sprouts, too.

Graham Kerr is out there. Yeah, Wikipedia says he is 80. I watched a little of what might have been his most recent shows, about 5 years or so ago. He'd be at a drawing board in the last minute and detail what you'd be getting with what he'd just prepared. I remember a lot of blender work. Minimal calories, anti-oxidants - those sorts of things. Oh, he quit drinking! Yeah.

Here is something from his website: "
  1. Delight and do less harm to each other
  2. Delight and do less harm to the soil
  3. Delight and do less harm to the water
  4. Delight and do less harm to the air we breathe
In my opinion we must DELIGHT, because, unless we do, nothing we attempt will last, no matter how well intentioned."

Sound about right?

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite ironic memory of cooking shows is about 25 years ago, when I was a single mom, eating Kraft Mac & cheese with my son, while watching "The Galloping Gourmet" on TV. I think his name was Graham Kerr. His shtick was to drink way more wine than he put in his cooking.
I'm with you. Didn't he turn into alcoholic and go alcohol free?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I like Rick Bayless' cooking. Mexican cuisine is probably my favorite of all.

I find Nick Stellino worth watching just because sometimes he says the funniest things, but he also explains why he does things a certain way.

It hasn't been on for a while but New Scandanavian Cooking is fun mostly because of the gorgeous scenery they cook in outdoors. And I'm fascinated by their accents!
Steve that Chefs Afield looks interesting, is it on broadcast tv? I haven't seen it, but I can only get what's gettable with antennae.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe it is on Idaho Public Television. . .

Ah ha! 2:30pm today and they are in Hawaii! I saw the show at 5am, Thursday at that time they will be in Washington DC.

It must be rebroadcasts and I wonder if it will be back in a new series. I miss most things during the summers, anyway.

Steve
Okay, I think I've got it: 5am Tuesday & Thursday for earlier series. Tuesday & Friday at 2:30pm for new season.

Last edited:

Latest posts