A Chefs Life?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, well that explains me not catching it...
the idiot box is rarely on before dark.

I could think of a few shows they could give a rest to, and throw something more interesting in that time slot.:rolleyes:

For instance, just how many decades of Hyacinth Bucket do we really need?

I recall my MIL watching that over 30 years ago when we would visit. sigh.

edit: ok. it hasn't been 30 years, the series ran from '90 to '95. I guess it just seems like
30 years!

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We may have lost the new member wanting to know about heirloom seed a couple of days ago, huh? I guess these sorts of things are okay since they sharpen our own interests in what we are about.

I will start well over 30 varieties and crosses of tomatoes very soon. Luckily, I can rely on several for disease resistance if it turns out to be one of those kinds of years. On the chefs a'field show this morning, they were looking at a farmer's tomato field. He grows for a farmer's market and has both heirlooms and others.

I noticed the dialogue stopped when they reached the Green Zebra plants. If I had to guess, I'd say they were suffering from early blight, nearly all the foliage was gone.

Next was what looked to be some bright healthy plants. They were identified as Sungold.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we lived in a house that sat on a smallish rise above what I now know was a market garden. Probably an acre or two in tomatoes, tended by a couple of Japanese brothers, who spoke with limited English.
I only know they spoke with limited English because we kids would invade the tomato patch to catch butterflies in the dandy little nets my mom made for us. That would cause the farmers to show up and yell at us, which was a little scary, but also made us giggle when we got home and imitated their funny phrasing.
Yeah, we were bad.
tee hee smiley.gif

Latest posts