A cure for cabin fever

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey!!

You did it , Thistle'!

There was a Robin outside my kitchen window!! Not a minute ago . . . Wow! He went by the South Window - I'd opened the window but taking the screen off will just scare him away from coming in!

Steve

Robins! That's great! Were you hoping he'd hop into your windowsill? Ha!
I still haven't spotted one, but maybe tomorrow...I'll be working in town so I betcha I get a spotting too.

Yes! And wasn't that blue sky a tonic?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a picture of him sitting right below the window. Wonderful under a robin-egg blue sky.

"Spokane Airport has received more snow in Feb (17.8 in) than Nov/Dec/Jan combined!" Official word from the Weather Service. And, yes - I know it doesn't seem like a lot but every flake is appreciated! It will be in single digitS' this weekend and winter is getting olde.

Here's something else the WS said: (LINK) "A Terrible Forecast, a busted forecast!"

Wow! I don't remember ever seeing something like that! They go right thru the weekend and Monday and explain how they got it wrong again and again - lots of people were caught off guard by that last 5"! Well, good for them. I'm happy to see a little humility along with the snow, even if I am tired of winter.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I guess if the WS can eat a little crow it will help restore a little trust in them.

You took a picture of that robin? I think you should share that!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay but the picture wasn't "wonderful." You can click on it and see a better picture & even hear the song of the robin ;), but I'm not responsibile for either. Look for the robin's tail in the sunlight along one of Garbanzo's "paths":

I will edit it in place of this excuse when I can take the chill of sitting in that South Window at the desktop. 17°F Chilled to 8°! (Back to edit at 6:30 :)).

Steve

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay but the picture wasn't "wonderful." You can click on it and see a better picture & even hear the song of the robin ;), but I'm not responsibile for either. Look for the robin's tail in the sunlight along one of Garbanzo's "paths":

I will edit it in place of this excuse when I can take the chill of sitting in that South Window at the desktop. 17°F Chilled to 8°! (Back to edit at 6:30 :)).

Steve

There he is! I always wonder what they're eating at this time of year when the ground is still frozen.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those paths, made bare by the bright sun, lured 2 into the yard. I saw 2 more in a cherry tree about 40 yards away and there seemed to be others. None that I have seen yet, today.

My guess is that they are eating the Mountain Ash berries. I used to see the Bohemian Waxwings down from Canada during the kinds of winters we used to have. I haven't seen them in the Mountain Ash for a very long time.

Thistle', have you seen Snowy Owls this winter?

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope. I don't know that I've ever seen a snowy owl in person.
But we had a batch of Bohemian Waxwings here last year. We always get mobbed by Evening Grosbeaks every year. Those guys can eat a lot! One year I tried to count them, I figured there must have been 40 or 50 here for about 3 days. That's when I had a half dozen feeders up and I was filling them daily.
I decided that I couldn't afford to feed all those birds and my family, so cut back to two main feeders.
I discovered that even if I had 20 feeders out there it still wouldn't satisfy all the birds, so now I limit them and only fill them 2x a week even if they run empty.

It cuts back on the variety a little, but I have my resident regulars and I try to keep them happy.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I meant to say that when I was working in town today I expected to see some robins at the job I was on. They always seem to prefer that property, but the snow was still deep there. They do have several mountain ash though, which might be why I see them early there.