a dahlia as big as my head

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
They are so pretty, I can't believe I DON'T have any! How crazy is that?! I will have to look in to getting some one day. I really like those "fluffy" looking ones :)
To save money you should go with Dahlia seeds. I might suggest finding some 'Bishop's Children', from that very cultivar your love for Dahlias will grow!

Here is a picture
bishops-child-1.jpg

Since this one cross pollinates well, there seems to be quite an abundant array of leaf to bloom variations (even from the nursery bought seed).

bishops-child-2.jpg

The thing I love the most about Dahlias is the ability to become such wonderful cut flower arrangements! They last so well!

bishop%27schildrendahlia.jpg

Keep an eye out for seeds HiD!

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, now I am totally Floored! Literally!

Look at this Dahlia: It is called the Tree Dahlia D. imperialis

here is the site: Tree Dahlia

Dahlia_6012.jpg

Amazing! ... I beg anyone that has this! :bow

Ron

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
OK, now I am totally Floored! Literally!

Look at this Dahlia: It is called the Tree Dahlia D. imperialis

here is the site: Tree Dahlia

http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/Dahlia_6012.jpg

Amazing! ... I beg anyone that has this! :bow

Ron
I have about 10 or so kinds at one time had about 20 kinds but over the years they faded away

I am in awe of yours Ron ..I always use tubers and on the third year dig them up and split them ..

I loose a lot but i had tried digging them up every year for a while but I lost as many doing that as I do leaving them in so I just leave them in and put straw over them ..I do nothing else ..I do not feed just add compost to my beds every year ..my friend swears by adding epson salts to his bed and let me tell you that man has a dahlia bed that would blow your mind! he gave me bags and bags of tubers years ago to plant and I had such a wonderful display now it is not as great as it used to be and instead of all in one bed I put them all through my garden now I think it is prettier to have them popping up in all kinds of places!

anyway that tree ..all I can say is wow ..

I will look inside that big fat dahlia and see if there are some seeds it is really "ripe" if there are I will save them and try from seeds..but really I get bags of these for five bucks at our sale every year and even though the bag is labeled "assorted" I like what turns out!

oh there is a woman at my work that "hybrids" her own ..I have no idea how but someone told me she does it with the tubers?? that sounds impossible to me?

she has to do it by seed how can you hybrid a tuber???

I still can not believe that is a dahlia tree it is just so pretty

and like you Ron where are the dahlia growers here they are so easy to grow and go on into the fall for us I know mine stay nice and keep blooming until the frost ..

yes grow dahlias you guys ..I know they seem expensive if you just get a tuber and stick it in the ground ..but wow so worth it! and like Ron says you can grow them by seed but all I know is the tubers ....Drake Maiden and I started talking when she said I could eat a dahlia tuber ..who woudl have thought one of those would be food ..I still have not tried one only because I love the flowers more than I need more food!

If I have time this week I will try to go to my old friends house and get a picture of his garden ..maybe score some more tubers ..I have not seen him in years he retired and started doing stuff other than staying home :p

I have a lot to catch up with here but please be patient with me this is a rough time of year for me and I am not dealing very well with it right now ..I will :) but not right now ..I keep telling people I have "malaria" and will be back in the world when I am in remission again ..it comes and it goes and I think it will forever...

I just did not want anyone to think I was a flake and post like crazy then disapear ..well I am a flake but not a serious one

OOOXXX

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Nobody else has Dahlias? ...fess up! Let's see your Dahlias, pull em out!

Ron :tools
That sounded like a challenge, Ron :weight!

Okay, dahlias I HAD before the 19 weather! The tubers are now in the garage, on their way to the basement and their beds of peat moss to snooze away the winter.

Dahlias: yeah! Lovely photographs like those above: no . . .

Steve

4989_dahlia_garden_010.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, now I MUST have dahlias! I've been all over the web looking at photos so when I close my eyes I see rainbows! My sis grew some small ones last year, but I didn't see them this year so she must have killed them. Then I spotted a giant purple one in a neighbor's yard the other day, all by its lonesome. You just don't see many dahlias around here, but I don't know why.

HiDelight, you have started a frenzy. LOL

Ron, nice foliage on those 'Bishop's Children'! Very interesting.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I concur I also must get some started.
I think I will start them late in Dec. They should have a good start by march first!

Were should I look for seeds ? Any one want to help a guy out getting started in the wonderful world of Dahlia? ;)

Joe

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Joe, I just bought several auctions for seeds on eBay, most under $2. There is some pretty good variety there. Tubers were too expensive for me (shipping really high too).

So, good things come to those who wait? I hope so! I have had good success the past couple years starting most of my garden indoors from seed. For just a couple bucks, I am certainly willing to try some dahlias. Wish me luck! (We'll know next year...long time to wait!!)

:watering

Latest posts