A fine crop of aphids.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I let my red mustard plants go to seed so I can get some seed for next Falls crop. As soon as they got tall the flower stalks got packed with those big gray cabbage aphids. My first instinct was to compost them after i got my seed but on closer inspection I see swarms of tiny parasitic wasps attacking them. I think I'll just leave them be and hope the wasps transfer their efforts to my Summer plants when they get going.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My wasps did wonders on the horn worms last year, quite an amazing creature!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my never dying collards are infested with aphids. part of me is justing sittiig back and watching the destruction. ok a large part

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
my never dying collards are infested with aphids. part of me is justing sittiig back and watching the destruction. ok a large part
Take a good look. You may also be raising some predators. Sometimes it's best to just let nature take its course.

riverman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have aphids all over my tomato plants and radish tops and such, but I havent seen anything helping me with controlling them. I'm afraid I'm going to loose some of my tomatoes, I hate interrupting nature as well but I think I have to this time. Whats the earth friendliest way to get rid of the aphids without killing anything else? I've heard dish soap foliage feedings work but doesnt sound as natural as I was hoping.

Any advice from you master gardeners?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
A strong spray of water directed at the underside of the leaves helps a lot. It washes them off and then it takes them a while to find their way back,so it's not a 100% method for ridding your plants of them, but it does help.
Also check for ants, whenever you have aphids the ants will show up some time to farm them and harvest the honeydew. The ants then protect the aphids from other insects that eat them

riverman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
A strong spray of water directed at the underside of the leaves helps a lot. It washes them off and then it takes them a while to find their way back,so it's not a 100% method for ridding your plants of them, but it does help.
Also check for ants, whenever you have aphids the ants will show up some time to farm them and harvest the honeydew. The ants then protect the aphids from other insects that eat them
Oh you said it! The fire ants are madly infesting my raised beds this year. especially around my mators. A heavy soaking of Orange Oil/Apple Cider Vinegar/Manure Tea/& molasses is the only thing I'm doing for them, but it just seems to irritate them enough to move the mound over a foot or too!

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ohhh, like that recipe Riverman. Going to save that one. I'm laughing at the way Obsessed worded that too!
Riverman, can you elaborate on what kind or brand of Orange oil?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert either but if memory serves me right a strong tobacco tea is the "earth friendly" answer to aphid infestation. I use one pouch of Mail Pouch chewing tobacco and boil it in about a gallon of water for 5 minutes or so. Strain it into a five gallon pail and fill it with water. I use a pump sprayer and apply to the under side of leaves and stems. It helps but as with most organic insecticides it does not work as well as the harsh chemicals that are available. Oh yeah - always put a teaspoon of soap in each spray tank full.