A look at some of the garden this year.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was out weeding some today and thought I take a few quick pictures of the garden.

Spinach (Bloomsdale Long-Standing)

7054_dsc_0131.jpg

Onion (Cobra)

7054_dsc_0132.jpg

Beets (Detroit Red)

7054_dsc_0133.jpg

Peas second crop (Impr Laxton's Progress)

7054_dsc_0136.jpg

Potatoes (Kennebec and Russet Norkotah)

7054_dsc_0134.jpg

I'll get more posted soon.

Chris

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks good, Chris.

I grew the Laxton's Progress Peas for a long time. I don't really know why I went to Green Arrow for the shell peas. It would be like welcoming an old friend back for me to grow them again. The first planting & those potatoes should yield some cream peas and new potatoes?, I hope :p.

You will have pictures of the tomato plants next, right?

Steve

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank You Lucky, Steve and Lesa.

Steve,
Believe it or not those potatoes are only about 8 weeks old I planted them around the first week of April. There 2 foot tall and starting to but. I just hope there's potatoes under there.

As for the tomatoes I gust got them in the ground, I'll get pictures of them up and on here but there not much to look at yet this year, for some reason they didn't want to grow and by the time I got them in the ground there wasn't much sticking out of the ground. Most of the tomatoes I planted are 2 months old and 4 to 5 inches tall the rest are 2 1/2 months old and about 6 inches tall and I like to plant my tomatoes deep so I have a bunch of tomatoes in the ground that are a inch tall some are 3 inches.

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistle and Collector Thank You.

Thistle,
I just got done doing the third hilling on them.

Collector,
I when't back to a way my Dad and I used to plant tomatoes and it seems to be working very well.
We would dig the trench for the potatoes then place the whole potatoes about 2 foot apart, now we would also add about a 1/8 cup of 6-24-24 and a 1lb coffee can full of rotted manure between each potato then cover the potato trench with about 3 inches of soil. Also keep them well watered, not soaking wet just well watered. They grow like weeds. In fact they out grew the weeds. LOL

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here are some of the tomatoes, I'll get better pictures as they get bigger.

Tomatoes (Veeroma VF)

7054_dsc_0137.jpg

7054_dsc_0138.jpg

Beans (2 rows of Green beans, Bush Blue Lake 274 and 2 rows of Kidney Bean California Red)

7054_dsc_0139.jpg

Zucchini (a row Zucchini Select and a row of 8 ball)

7054_dsc_0140.jpg

Chris

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your veggies are on target for your zone. My tomatoes look the same. Planting them deep is what I do, also. When the soil is just right they will grow like crazy. There will be potatoes under all that when they begin to die back. I leave mine in the soil until the first freeze, and just dig as we wear them.
Nice garden.
Cathy
chris09 said:
Thank You Lucky, Steve and Lesa.

Steve,
Believe it or not those potatoes are only about 8 weeks old I planted them around the first week of April. There 2 foot tall and starting to but. I just hope there's potatoes under there.

As for the tomatoes I gust got them in the ground, I'll get pictures of them up and on here but there not much to look at yet this year, for some reason they didn't want to grow and by the time I got them in the ground there wasn't much sticking out of the ground. Most of the tomatoes I planted are 2 months old and 4 to 5 inches tall the rest are 2 1/2 months old and about 6 inches tall and I like to plant my tomatoes deep so I have a bunch of tomatoes in the ground that are a inch tall some are 3 inches.

Chris

Latest posts