A look at some of the stuff in my garden (updated)..

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is a update on some of the plants in the old garden. About 2 1/2 weeks later..

Beans -
7054_dsc_0296.jpg

Sweet Potatoes -
7054_dsc_0297.jpg

Cucumbers -
7054_dsc_0299.jpg

Tomatoes (Roma) -
7054_dsc_0298.jpg

Chris

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got some sweet potatoes this year that look about like that, Chris.

I've never raised sweet potatoes. They were started in pots in the greenhouse and transplanted into the garden. Think they might do okay?

About 20 years ago, Dad decided he wanted to grow sweet potatoes. I suggested Georgia Jets and he planted them.

At the harvest, I thought he'd done pretty good but he was unimpressed. Dad grew up in New Mexico along the Rio Grande. He knew sweet potatoes. Apparently, what he could grow in northern Idaho didn't amount to much in his eyes.

Do you have enuf time for those cucumbers? I've got some fairly small vines from plants set out in July . . . but, I'm still waiting for an actual harvest on ones set out in May :rolleyes:.

Good looking, well tended soil, Chris!

Steve

Raindance

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Looking great! :D I've never raised sweet potatoes. Now I'm jealous! Garden envy...:lol:

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like everything is doing very well!
As Steve mentions the cukes look a little on the small size for this time of the summer, (late start perhaps), but I expect you will be eating some before August is on the wane.

I had an awful time this spring as a cold wet spell hit us in mid June, not to long after I had set out my cuke seedlings. They all died!:( I decided to sew the cuke seeds directly into the garden at that point and keep my fingers crossed. Same thing happened with 60% of my zucchinis..Well the cukes now all have lots of flowers on them, and I have harvested a few zuc's already. Better late than never!

Your Roma's are doing fantastic! I have always found them to be great producers.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Do you have enuf time for those cucumbers? I've got some fairly small vines from plants set out in July . . . but, I'm still waiting for an actual harvest on ones set out in May :rolleyes:.
Steve
I should I enuf time for the cucumbers. I hope :D LOL
There about 3 week in the ground and starting to set buds real good.
There Fanfare there a 52 days from transplants semi bush F1 hybrid slicer.

digitS' said:
I've never raised sweet potatoes. They were started in pots in the greenhouse and transplanted into the garden. Think they might do okay?
This is my first year for Sweet Potatoes my self. We got ours slits off a Amish friend of ours that had them planted in a 4" pot and all we did is separated the slits and planted them in the ground..

Bill said:
Your Roma's are doing fantastic! I have always found them to be great producers.
Roma are a great producer and at times I think that might produce too good..
I found that (here) the only way to "stake" them is to use good fencing. I never had luck with wood tomato steaks and the tomato cages aren't big enuf or strong enuf.

Chris

Latest posts