A look at this years tomatoes.

Circle-M-Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Here is a look at this years tomatoes.

The tomatoes in the flats are about 35 day out of the ground and not looking to bad.
-- Marglobe,
(Burpee's seeds)
-- Rutgers,
(Burpee's seeds)
--
Rampo,
(Rutgers EDU seeds)
-- Moreton,
(Rutgers EDU seeds)
-- Rutgers 250,
(Rutgers EDU seeds)
-- Rutgers 250 "Schermerhorn"
(Rutgers EDU seeds)

2016 tomatoes.jpg

The tomatoes in the 4" pots are 22 days out of the ground.
-- Campbells 33,
(Reimer seeds)
-- *Brandywine Red*
(Burpee's seeds)
-- Proter House
(Burpree's seeds)

2016 tomatoes 2.jpg

Note --
The "Brandywine tomatoes seeds that I received from Burpees are not the true Red Brandywine tomatoes. I found this out as soon as the true leaves appeared, true Red Brandwine tomatoes have a regular tomato leaf, these have a potato leaf.

Chris

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
A look at this years tomatoes, huh? I fear they survived the projected frost (that never) came only to fall prey to the hot sun baking them under their night's protection before I got to removing the covers. :hitMost of them are black mush.

I guess that means planting seeds again. This time I can start them right outside in the garden. I am such a bad plant mommy! Black warming houses are a bad idea in sunny weather and I should have gotten them off well before I did.

Circle-M-Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@baymule
Thank you.
If I remember correctly the Black Brandywine should be potato leaf, I think they were a Pink Brandywine / Black Krim cross and they would have got the potato leaf from the Pink Brandywine.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Circle-M-Farm I haven't tried Brandywine before. I am excited to be growing the True Black Brandywine. I am searching for my "favorites". I order different seed every year and I tend to go overboard. So far my must haves are Cherokee Purple, Tommy Toes and German Johnson.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
A look at this years tomatoes, huh? I fear they survived the projected frost (that never) came only to fall prey to the hot sun baking them under their night's protection before I got to removing the covers. :hitMost of them are black mush.

I guess that means planting seeds again. This time I can start them right outside in the garden. I am such a bad plant mommy! Black warming houses are a bad idea in sunny weather and I should have gotten them off well before I did.

It has been so cold here it is impossible to put the plants in the ground. Right now it is like winter outdoors, you need a jacket and some parts of NY got snow last night. The plants in the greenhouse are flowering and setting fruit, but I have the heat on at night. The plants for the garden are still in the greenhouse in 4" pots and are flowering also, but I don't know when I will be able to plant them.

toms.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@jackb that is too cold, too late in the year! Is Spring always broken in N.Y.? It is too cool here too.....in the low 60's at night and in the 70's in the day time. So I guess Spring is broken here too, but my AC bill sure likes it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@jackb that is too cold, too late in the year! Is Spring always broken in N.Y.? It is too cool here too.....in the low 60's at night and in the 70's in the day time. So I guess Spring is broken here too, but my AC bill sure likes it.

Low sixties at night here would be a reason to have all the fans blowing!
Sounds like summer weather to me.

Latest posts