A look at this years tomatoes.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both April and May have much cooler than normal here in New York according to the weather bureau. Bah Humbug.
jackb

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried to get a picture of the two tomato plants with actual green tomatoes in my garden before I snipped them and the blooms off. Either couldn't see one green fruit or the other in the picture, although the plants were next to each other

One of the two was a Bloody Butcher. No surprise there - what a fine variety that has been for me :). Terrible name but flavorful, early fruit from plants that produce all season. Saying the name gets the same reaction from DW every time, "that's not very nice ..." Oh well, she likes the little tomatoes ;).

The other plant attempting an early delivery is a regular-leaf plant from a 2015 Bloody Butcher tomato ..! Yeah, it is likely one of the crosses I was attempting in 2013. Failing that year at being able to cross-pollinate tiny tomato flowers, I continued to grow the 3 varieties side-by-side in the backyard.

What I failed to do may have been accomplished by a bee! Potato-leaf Bloody Butcher has regular-leaf offspring! They will have another chance at fruiting but a little garden growth should come first :).

Steve
who hasn't seen a 60°f morning yet in a warm spring, 2016 ;)

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
My tomato season has officially begun. The plants are flowering and setting fruit so they are using lots of water. Today I ran the water lines to the autopots to automate the watering process. Also, I planted a dozen plants in the garden. This year I am covering the soil with black poly to control weeds, maintain moisture and heat the soil. I am anxious to see how this works.

toms 51916.jpg