a New Home

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i admit, if i had a lot of acreage but no house, i would gladly put down a double wide but i would get the option to have a basement since they are a necessity in my area! we have a mobile home company across town that has some nice options for homes. we've also toyed with the idea of a geodesic dome house since they are fairly cheap kits. but reading up about the few companies that supply them the cost to ship the kit would cost about as much as the kit itself!

Gaulithan

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So I finally got myself a new home, it's a house in the suburbs. My family and I couldn't be happier about it. Living in a house in Singapore is quite an accomplishment for this colossal megapolis. Flats are great and all, but I am more of a natural person who likes peace and quiet between workweeks. It cost me a fortune as real estate is costly here, but I am glad I made the purchase. All that's left to do is wait for the workers from paintingservicesingapore.sg to finish painting the walls and we will be set up.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure if 2 weeks is sufficient to leave behind the painting company from Singapore but maybe ...

Updating the old PC made it easy to post this simple picture and it explains some of what I was thinking about 6 years ago!

House Plan.JPG
A simple small house but the placement of the bathrooms, utility room and kitchen is the important feature. A family may decide that any home needs an addition. Those are often bedrooms, maybe a family room. But, the rooms that require remodeling are very, very often the kitchen and bathrooms.

Here, that might be a very simple process. Access could be through the mud room but it could go further than that. That entire part of the house could be removed and replaced. All of it. and that would include the larger part of the home's utilities - water and heat source.

I have lived through contractor remodeling and it wasn't much fun. Imagine if the entire unit was built elsewhere, the old was pulled out and the new set in its place. I can imagine that being done in a matter of days, not weeks and weeks.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now the weather is cooler and drier and I feel like getting out and starting some projects around the house.
I sure know that feeling! August is for hugging your AC unit. September used to be the cool down month, but is more like catching up to August. October is wonderful, cool and crisp without being cold.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been enjoying the tv series on HGTV called "Curb Appeal Extreme". Now the weather is cooler and drier and I feel like getting out and starting some projects around the house.

both spring and fall seem more compressed here the four seasons are more like two seasons with a 1/3 tagged on either side. there'd be a sitcom show title in that somewhere if i was more awake. (Two and Two Thirds of Mayhem?) nah, not quite working...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a beautiful sky this Sunday morning and I would have liked to have shared a picture.

To move out from under the trees, to escape from this power, telephone, cable, internet wire "matrix," I'd need to walk about 200 yards to the middle of the elementary school playground ... In my bathrobe?!! Okay, I can say that the beautiful colors weren't around long enuf to allow me to change clothes ;).

This points to why I would like to live on a floor above "utility." I've enjoyed living in those homes in the past. However, there is little question that an elevator would be needed now. I can use stairs but not all that happily :D.

Utilities could be the garage, along with a laundry room and workshop. That might take the personality of @Phaedra Geiermann 's garden house. I'm not really interested in somethings that I could do as indoor hobbies. The guy who previously lived in my present home for nearly 60 years was interested in radios. He taught about them at the nearby naval training center during the world war. (Yes, the US Navy had such an installation this far inland, on a big lake ;).) My garage isn't really a garage - it has a wooden floor. Nutz!

There are more shelves in the basement and garage than I could possibly make use of, even as someone who is tragically slow about throwing things away. Need to rise above!

Steve :)

Latest posts