a New Home

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have remodeled 3 houses and built 4 new homes from the first dot on the blueprint all the way to being a jack of all trades to the finished product and we are still married ! Maybe a few disagreements of taste of a kitchen appliance, location of a window in a room, or choice of paint... but we managed to compromise on those issues and it turned out very well. I prefer to build a new home rather than FIX CONSTRUCTION MISTAKES and/ or house settling out of plumb and dumb construction errors . The use of sheetrock mud, paint and carpeting hide , and use of low quality imported and / or discontinued / recalled products of plumbing, electrical, siding, etc. and many errors that are NOT amusing to fix. I found out that in our current house, the contractor used illegals to build this house and boy oh boy the workmanship errors at every turn that just compound on one another until one is ready to put a match to the house to start from scratch. Costs me at least 3 times the labor and 6 times in time and 10 times the cost to meet and/ or exceed the building codes to fix the construction errors. :barnie :he :th

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have remodeled 3 houses and built 4 new homes from the first dot on the blueprint all the way to being a jack of all trades to the finished product and we are still married ! Maybe a few disagreements of taste of a kitchen appliance, location of a window in a room, or choice of paint... but we managed to compromise on those issues and it turned out very well. I prefer to build a new home rather than FIX CONSTRUCTION MISTAKES and/ or house settling out of plumb and dumb construction errors . The use of sheetrock mud, paint and carpeting hide , and use of low quality imported and / or discontinued / recalled products of plumbing, electrical, siding, etc. and many errors that are NOT amusing to fix. I found out that in our current house, the contractor used illegals to build this house and boy oh boy the workmanship errors at every turn that just compound on one another until one is ready to put a match to the house to start from scratch. Costs me at least 3 times the labor and 6 times in time and 10 times the cost to meet and/ or exceed the building codes to fix the construction errors. :barnie :he :th
I agree with you, bobm. That's why DH always ends, "They don't build houses like they used to," with a heart felt, "Thank God!"

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
For those who might be looking for a house, keep in mind that little bungalow homes built right after WWII were put up fast and often pretty cheap, to meet the demands of the post-war boom.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i always loved the bungalow style homes from before the 1920's. i never realized this style started in the 1880's. the Craftsmans, Greene & Greene, Prairie Style. i like the ones in our area that have the front porch with the sturdy pillars holding the roof over it. we have a lot in our area like this but they have so much charm compared to the newer 'boxes' that are build beside them.