A pepper tip my mom taught me

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Fertilize with horse manure to make your peppers even hotter!! Dried out manure works better because it's not as acidic and won't burn. :tools

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's interesting! I've also heard that if you grow them on the dry side while the peppers are maturing the peppers will be hotter - do you know if that's true?

Pat

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have no idea. I should ask her. I'm going to do hobinaros this year... not that they need to be any hotter! :p

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've heard this before! My dad was into organic gardening back in the early-mid 70s and used to bring home trunkloads of it from a coworker of my mom's. He had an old Ford Maverick and he'd fill the trunk up with manure and bring it home on trunk full at a time. The neighbors all thought (knew) he was nuts but he had the best vegetable garden in the neighborhood! And I remember biting into a pepper I thought was a sweet pepper and just about dying. Several pieces of bread and glasses of milk later I could breath again.:mad:

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sounds like some people on here have had bad luck with horse manure, but I think it's the best thing ever! Hey, it's free for me (unless you count my feed bill :barnie ) and I have an endless supply! :gig

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've got loads of that! :D

I have some Jalapeno's to plant this year..... I miss my stuffed jalapeno poppers.... so I have to make my own!

Settin'_Pretty

Leafing Out
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
That's interesting! I've also heard that if you grow them on the dry side while the peppers are maturing the peppers will be hotter - do you know if that's true?

Pat
I know that is the case with onions from personal experience.
They MUST me watered regularly or they get hot.

This thread makes me want to do some experimenting now with peppers.
I love Jalapino's but their heat caused me to move to the Tam mild variety several years ago because the regular variety was way hotter than the store bought canned peppers like old el paso
My Habanero's you just plain could not eat, and I am a lover of hot peppers.

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I have some Jalapeno's to plant this year..... I miss my stuffed jalapeno poppers.... so I have to make my own!
Mmmmmm.... You'll have to post the recipe!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
when you plant your peppers (any peppers) break the heads off 5 wood kitchen matches and put them in the bottom of the hole and set the plant on top of them. They like the sulfur and this will make them grow and produce quicker. Also if you have plants that are puting on blooms but never any peppers you can mist water them with 1 tbl spn epson salt to a gallon of water and it will help the blooms stay.

Peppers are one of few plants that really do not like miracle grow when it comes to producing veggies.

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Another tip she told me yesterday... and this goes for any type of pepper, even Bell...
When you plant the baby plants (as if I know the real name of a baby plant... :rolleyes: ), stick a matchstick in the ground next to it. Push it all the way in the ground with your finger. They like whatever is on the tip of the match.

EDITED TO ADD: I like to post before I read... After I posted this, I read the post DIRECTLY above it! :barnie

Latest posts