A proper pickled pepper

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did the BBB recipe for pickled peppers one year and I was NOT happy with the results...all hot and just plain vinegary, no real flavor! (This was pickled hot banana peppers.) We never found a use for them and I ended up tossing them out. They did not have that tangy flavor like the ones you buy.

I'm getting ready to do some more banana peppers and also some jalapeno rings. I was thinking of trying it with a Mrs. Wages kosher dill pickle mix instead. Anybody tried this with good result? Or maybe I need to ferment them instead? Or any good spice mix/recipe you have...please share!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll be watching this thread. I found the same result as you with the pickled peppers Journey, very vinegary. I did hot bananas and Wenks Yellow Hots and there wasn't much real pepper flavor :/ .

If the moose don't visit it looks like I may have a decent pepper crop this year.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When I pickle hot peppers, I always add a Tbsp or so of pickling spices.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, those candied jalapenos sound awesome! I will definitely make a batch of those. I don't know about giving any way...I just might eat them all myself!

That's what I'm thinking too, Monty...they need some sort of spice. Kosher dills are my favorite and the brine worked well for pickled okra (with the addition of a little cayenne and garlic). I'm hoping that will give them the depth of flavor I'm looking for.

Thistle, it baffles me why a moose would even want to eat a pepper plant! That is one of the few things in my garden that the deer will leave alone. They've been eating the leaves off of my okra plants this year...first time they've messed with that. You'd think they'd go for the beans and tomatoes first? :/

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You'll be glad you did. They are something else on most sandwiches. Sweet, with a little bit of heat they are great. We've also used other hot peppers too so you can go hotter if you want. The recipe carries over quite well.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Thistle, it baffles me why a moose would even want to eat a pepper plant! That is one of the few things in my garden that the deer will leave alone. They've been eating the leaves off of my okra plants this year...first time they've messed with that. You'd think they'd go for the beans and tomatoes first? :/
My goats love the peppers, leaves, peppers, everything! The deer ate a few of them the year I grew them up front, until I sprayed deer repellent on the garden. Of course the dumb deer even ate some of the rhubarb that year.
And the goats...well, although they seem to have similar culinary tendencies to deer, one of mine ate a grasshopper that I was intending to give the chickens! :sick They're such clowns, it's worth keeping them just for the laughs.