A rare overcast and moist day (Pics-Flowers)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today we are overcast, with a slight drizzle; this is a rare treat for us. The ground is still dry, but everything is moist.

I had to share my Morning Glories and some other flowers. Most of my gardening is getting seasoned out with seedheads, but these beauties are just starting to become showy.

35k3968.jpg

2djqquq.jpg

30ct9gp.jpg

29zbu2v.jpg

this was the view from the inside of the yard: It is so nice to see the morning glories opened this late in the morning.

there is a Redbud tree and an Althea in there
34ja9g8.jpg

my baby Hawthorne tree
2ijlu2h.jpg

a compliment with the pink Althea and my Lovebird Aviary (that tree over the birdcage is a grand old Pecan tree)
bfhvki.jpg

opps on leaving the hose out :(
2ih6szs.jpg

awww..there is Rudi
hv9us7.jpg

gate to the orchard and chicken yard
sqmves.jpg

Feather Reed Grass and Ruella
oiwqjt.jpg

my front yard is very seasoned, a little of everything out here
w89j6u.jpg

ok, well I hope you enjoyed the day, it drizzled a bit more while I was typing this up, I have all the windows opened in the house and it is wonderful!
21cgzes.jpg

Ron

oh, sorry, but cannot show you my veggie gardening until I get myself out there and weed :rolleyes::rolleyes:

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
your yard is beautiful ..
how do you keep the weeds from growing on your walking paths? like the photo with rudi in it? it looks so weed free, i have wood chip mulch stuff (from our yard trimmings) and they just growing right on up ..
also i dont know what i am doing so wrong with my morning glories but they sure do not look like yours .. ive googled and asked jeeves trying to find the trick, do you 'feed' yours, do you water lots or little ..
i'd post a pic but it really is embarrassing ..
your yard is awesome and i hope one day to get this whole gardening thing so i can have a beautiful yard too .. and i want a chair out there so i can just sit and stare ..
thanks for sharing photos!!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hi Chills,

Never be embarrassed. My garden is a process of working with my environment. The desert is always a desert no matter how much water you put on it.

So, the reason you see such clear paths, is because they are so bone dry!! :p If I were to begin to apply water they would turn into a groundcover nightmare. So, if I were to ever move from this home then the garden, in less than a year, would all turn to sand. I have seen it happen time and again.

So by being a self-therapeutic waterer I am able to paint a pretty picture. Trust me I would rather have the clouds do the work. :D

As for the Morning Glories, you need to plant them earlier Spring to get a good start and then just let them benefit from the general yard sprinkler. Mine have been replanting themselves year after year for nearly five years now. One year I fertilized them and got nothing but greens and hardly any blooms, so I began to starve them and they burst into color, it just took all year it seemed like. Now I chop on them as the season goes on, I try to keep them from shading out the leaves on my young trees.

Ok, wishing you luck. I think I am going to do a big basket of seeds at the end of the season and do a give-a-way on them.

Ron

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice garden Greensage! Rudi is cute !!!!!! ;)
That aviary looks great do you just have lovebirds in there?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love morning glories- the only thing better is lots of morning glories!! The whole fence, makes a beautiful picture!! Always enjoy seeing pics of your yard- all your hard work really pays off... Enjoy!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
That aviary looks great do you just have lovebirds in there?
I only have Peach-faced Lovebirds. There are seven of them out there. Four are original adults and three are offspring. They live outside year-round, although, right now I have two adults in the house and a nestling that I just clipped and is ready for a new home.

Ron

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your yard is magical and pretty amazing for your location. I fave family in the high desert of Southern Cali and man is it a constant battle. Mostly because of the no existantant rain and my auntie having to hide her water bill. :D

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron, your gardens are beautiful! I love the way it looks secluded and private. I live on a corner lot and would love to have a "living wall" around my property.

Latest posts