a rarity in my neck of the woods!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's amazing...you really have to wonder how it go so far off course? We only have the ruby-throated hummingbirds here, but I think they're one of the prettiest anyway. :cool:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
That's amazing...you really have to wonder how it go so far off course? We only have the ruby-throated hummingbirds here, but I think they're one of the prettiest anyway. :cool:
It was suggested in one article about the Beloit, WI hummer sighting that Hurricane Dean had made landfall on U.S. soil shortly before the bird was first seen. It was given as a possible reason for the bird being so far off its normal spring route.

Nothing but ruby-throated around here as well. We must have 2-3 breeding pairs that keep returning year after year. They are beautiful and interesting birds to watch.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Chickie, that seems so late to have a hummer around! We see the last of ours at the tail end of August. Rufous show up at the feeders first, then the Calliope. We had Broad tailed here too this year, the first year I've noticed them.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not really a humming bird watcher, i watch for other birds at my feeders or around the yard and never really paid attention to the type of hummers handing around. so seeing this article makes me want to get a feeder for them and watch for any pretty ones that may travel across the nation far from home. this hummer was spotted in Manchester which is an hour away from where i live on the seacoast.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, definitely get a feeder! They are fascinating little created beings. I plant a lot of flowers for them, one of their favorites is Jacob Cline beebalm. It's bright red, and has a longer bloom than my other beebalms, plus it never suffers from powdery mildew like the others are prone to.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have tons of jewel weed that comes up on one side of the property and i thought they would love it while in bloom. but i don't remember seeing any hovering around it this summer. but i was working from July up till this week some odd hours. this year i didn't have much time to focus on getting flowers in. next year's plan will be different if i can help it.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We're blessed with the year round native Anas hummingbird here. It's usually quite friendly. They like to fly back and forth through the sprinkler when it is on.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
. . . We had Broad tailed here too this year, the first year I've noticed them.
No, Black-chinned, Thistle'?

Oooo, Broad tailed might have been what I saw long ago and thought that was the more common Ruby-throated from somewhere distant! I would have considered a Broad tailed as something special!

I wonder if seeing that "alpine" hummer would somehow have been related to our warmer summers lately. I've confused myself now that I've said that :rolleyes: but it is supposed to be to the south, like in Colorado.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sure some of them were Black Chinned also, but the Broad Tails are pretty distinctive because they flare their tails out while they drink, and also when they're chasing each other.

You mean the Broad Tailed are usually further south Steve? Hmmm... they're listed in my book as summering up here....

One thing that was different this year was the lack of Rufous, we usually have a lot of them, but this year a male showed up as usual then disappeared, and I didn't spot another until late Julyish. I wonder if a lot of my neighbors are feeding them now so they are more spread out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Peterson Guide just says "Idaho" but lists states south - no map.

Allaboutbirds.org (link) has a map that is a bit too small but it looks like their range stops in Wyoming.

High elevations but it makes sense. There is an old rule of thumb, which I've forgotten, but it has to do with miles north = feet in elevation. It would place this part of the world at about 8,000 feet in northern New Mexico (if I still remember that right :rolleyes:). Of course, the hummingbirds may have a different idea since they are the ones doing the flying.

Steve :)

Latest posts