A Real Mystery!!!!!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have you tried to file it? Burn it? Saw it? Does it have an odor? Have you tasted it? Can you melt it with water, soap, alcohol, solvent, etc.? Can you bend it or will it break?
No this is very rock like, if not rock then maybe the resin they use to make fake carvings. Cool to the touch, hard, heavy weight, does not dissolve in water, was scrubbing the weigh out of it to get the dirt off.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
that is a very interesting find... whatever it is, it has been petrified. have there been other discoveries in your area of petrified items?? trees, dinosaurs etc?
you might want to send a couple photo's to the local university anthropology department bet they can tell what it is...

have you thought about digging further in the area to see if there's more?
whatever the outcome please keep us posted......
It is not natural, I am nearly sure, b/c of the lettering

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think the artificial log sounds pretty close to what you have there. though for some reason i'm also thinking of tree like perches used for very large birds. those can be quite heavy duty since they are designed to take the abuse of the birds beak chewing on them.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I can't make out the letters but the material look like travertine. Are there hot springs around there?

Travertine is a form of limestone deposited by mineral springs, especially hot springs. Travertine often has a fibrous or concentric appearance and exists in white, tan, cream-colored, and even rusty varieties.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fracture
Lecture
Structure
Acupuncture
Conjecture: Manufacture

Thieven Steven
got 'em all from rhymezone

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Kassaundra, the end with the letters: is that a hole in the center? Can you see if it has threads for a screw? If so, I like @Chickie'sMomaInNH 's idea. It would have a washer that fits on the outside of the cage, with a sturdy screw holding it on.