A rose "so now what?" question

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
One of my saved rose bushes is starting to bloom...what do I do with it? Do I clip the roses right after they bloom, or wait till they wither and then clip them?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:weight :rose :weight

Hi desert girl,

As the roses wither just cut the blooms off. As we don't know exactly what rose variety that it is this is when we will find out whether it is a repeat flowerer or not ( I suspect it is so you will get more flowers forming). If you leave the flowers on then the plant will go into seed-setting mode & you won't get many more flowers.

Hope this helps! :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
For my roses ( I dont know what kind they are), I clip them in bud form once the green leaves that surround the bud lay downward and put them in a vase to enjoy. But the red bloom roses I leave on the bush and enjoy them in the yard, they seem to die almost instantly in the vase. Once the red ones droop and I notice petals falling I will clip them and throw them out.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
As the flower withers cut them down to just above where 5 leaves are growing. A new stem will grow in that place.

Mary

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you! I did this today, along with a generous snack of compost over their little feet. :p

Latest posts