A Seed Saver's Garden

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love this thread!! I KNOW that old tomato seeds will sprout. IF I had babysat them, I could have had my GF's 35yo tomato plants in my garden. Instead, I discovered them dried out bc I thought the seeds were dead. :hit
My friend saved seeds from one of my bell peppers last year and has them growing in her garden THIS year.
I REALLY want to get good at this.
I hope NOT, but I think we may need to be supplementing our food in the near future, and we have Seen how seed companies have sold out in the last 2 years.
Btw,@Ridgerunner , have you tried growing garlic next the plants that the deer like? You plant grocery store garlic. It WILL sprout. I have been playing around with grocery store garlic for 2 years now. It sprouts well, but demands some attention, but only if you start it INSIDE. This year I bought Italian garlic from a seed company. I already had about a pound of grocery store (read that CHINESE) garlic in my pantry, so I planted the Chinese garlic on the north side flower bed (E facing, front of house), and planted the Italian garlic on the south side, just for comparison.
Anyway, I really want to try the methods on this thread. I have PLENTY of storage space in my basement, where somebody put the old kitchen counter and sink, sometime in the last 100 years!
There are so many excellent reasons to save seeds @ducks4you, and you touch on one of the reasons here. When I get into my car, I generally expect things to go well on the road. But I still wear a seat belt just in case there are any irregularities that take place, and in such a case, the seat belt would be a potentially life saving measure.

When I was growing up my mother kept a garden, but it was only for a few years, and I think to her it was a kind of hobby, like knitting or a latch hook kit. She eventually grew tired of it, and turned the space back to lawn. But my grandfather lived across the street from us, and he kept a garden too. He's probably the reason I am a gardener today. I really loved my grandpa, and I looked up to him. I saw how different his sense was toward his garden. He talked sometimes when I was a child about going hungry during the great depression, and how desperate the situation was for food. The only grocery store was a gun, and still there wasn't much to be had. To him, you gardened because you were alive, and so long as you were alive you needed food. It was a function of living. As a little girl I would sneak into his yard to watch him work the garden (he never found out about this); it was the first time I ever saw a piece of food, a potato, come out of the ground. It was magical, and surprising, at the time. He used his yard so differently compared to how we used ours just across the street. It planted in me a seed that would emerge a couple decades later.

We never know what the future holds, but I quite like the idea of even a little food independence. I would like to believe I'll never need that seat belt, but life is unpredictable. It's part of why I stay away from hybrids - I would be forever dependant on it's producers, and many of those hybrids (like 'Sungold' tomatoes), have a genetic line which is a very well guarded secret. Until I joined TEG I honestly didn't know that some people prefer to grow them, or grow them out of necessity. I do understand the importance of that, though it doesn't resolve the 'what if' part of the equation. A market farmer I spoke to once, who grows hybrids, told me that she believes OP seed and heritage varieties could possibly be made as vigorous, but there has not been much concerted effort to do it. Sort of like working yourself out of a job, because there would be no one to sell new seed to, perhaps. Also, there are varieties you can really love, and if the company decides to discontinue it, which happens, your hybrid veg is never to be had again. Your own seed, stored well, can last for SO MUCH longer than is usually estimated. It's a permanent food supply waiting in the wings, and if you've been saving for years, it's got some kind of adaptation to your growing conditions established. Many people struggle with tomato issues; hybrids seem to be the solution to that on a certain level. But if I had tomato challenges (I don't in my climate) I'd be looking at wild varieties which have loads of blight resistance built in, as well as productivity. I've experimented with many wilder crops, as they are so tough and produce so much.

My next garden goal is a true, old world root cellar. It would give me seed independence with potatoes, carrots and rutabagas. For now, I have no place to store them at the correct temperatures to keep them viable for planting.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HeirloomGal, when I moved to "the sticks" in the '70's, the first thing I did, after setting up camp under a tree ;), was to dig a root cellar. Only about 4' x 6', it went under a woodshed (next project) and a short distance from a barn, where I was a loft dweller for the first year.

Before winter, I had the good fortune to have a crawler tractor in to clear a couple of acres of stumps. That ground became my garden in year #2. My thinking was that root crops were of utmost importance. A fair number of carrots were grown and did well. Too many turnips grew :) (but the 4 legged critters liked them). Potatoes were a flop but only that first garden. By the third year, I had things a little better balanced for my preferred diet. By that time also, I had a cabin with a half-basement, "root cellar #2," I thought. Unfortunately, it was too warm and I should have stayed with the little cellar under the woodshed, which I had thought was just temporary. It was of adequate size for 1 person but the floor of the cabin needed to be insulated for cellar #2. Anyway, I have an appreciation for this idea of food security ;).

Back in civilization, I have had very useful "cellars" in my last 2 homes.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
one thing really fun about cross breeding and trying out new varieties is that you can often have extras, rejects or bits of this and that which can be cooked up in a pinch. a few days ago i made a large pot of beans (ended up being almost eight quarts when done) and i used about ten different beans. maybe more as i can't remember all the beans i had put in the containers i emptied into that pot.

i found out that two of the beans i've cross-bred are quite good used as dry beans so that was also fun. Lemon Slice and Huey are both useful aside from being purty! :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS' Somehow I feel there is a very interesting story behind 'moving to the sticks in the 70's and digging a root cellar' ... ??? The 70's for me is such a blur. Mostly because I was a newborn 😆

@flowerbug I think both those beans are so pretty, but even just the name 'Lemon Slice' makes me want to grow it, so evocative. I'm a real sucker for a great bean name.

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree on the fencing, I couldn't garden successfully on a large scale without it. That is especially true when growing large numbers of soybeans; they are like candy to deer & rabbits. Unprotected, soybeans will likely be eaten to the ground.

Wild animals learn, and remember; so once they've had a taste of something they like, deterrents & repellents are unlikely to stop them from coming back. The best hope is to prevent them from getting the first taste - hence the fence. If their first taste is an electric shock, so much the better. For many years, I've successfully used their ability to remember to repel deer; after leaving the electric fencing on for a month or two, I can leave it mostly turned off for the rest of the season. Aluminum wire not only shocks better, it is highly visible - and the deer have learned not to touch it.

Unfortunately, when I reduced the size of the rural garden last year & moved the fence line, I failed to re-install the fence wire. That probably resulted in the deer incursion this year, the first time in about 10 years they've gotten into the garden. :(

I agree on the fencing, I couldn't garden successfully on a large scale without it. That is especially true when growing large numbers of soybeans; they are like candy to deer & rabbits. Unprotected, soybeans will likely be eaten to the ground.

Wild animals learn, and remember; so once they've had a taste of something they like, deterrents & repellents are unlikely to stop them from coming back. The best hope is to prevent them from getting the first taste - hence the fence. If their first taste is an electric shock, so much the better. For many years, I've successfully used their ability to remember to repel deer; after leaving the electric fencing on for a month or two, I can leave it mostly turned off for the rest of the season. Aluminum wire not only shocks better, it is highly visible - and the deer have learned not to touch it.

Unfortunately, when I reduced the size of the rural garden last year & moved the fence line, I failed to re-install the fence wire. That probably resulted in the deer incursion this year, the first time in about 10 years they've gotten into the garden. :(
When you build a fence to keep deer out that it is high enough so that they are NOT able to jump OVER it. Mine was 6' tall cyclone fence and I have seen them jump over it from in a stand still flat footed and right over it. Build the fence at 8' ! :th

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There won't be much vegetables coming out of the garden for awhile, and it's been days of cool/cold weather - I've had to wear a turtleneck or multiple layers, and turn the heat on in the house & car. So, the 'oh yay it's garden season' vibe has taken a bit of a hit. I scrolled through some older garden pics for fun and diversion recently, waiting for 'summer vibes' to return. I thought I'd post some of the seed varieties I've collected (or grown) in the last years, most of which are now stored (mostly) in glass jars in the basement. The tomatoes can't go in glass jars though, there is probably over 500, and to organise that many mismatching jars would probably be impossible. I keep those in white paper envelopes, then insert the envelope into a quality ziploc. In wide, shallow boxes they function sort of like alphabetical files.

20160919_214852_resized.jpg
20160919_132112_resized.jpg
20160919_132942_resized.jpg

'Old Wyandotte' tomato. Love this variety.
20160919_135159_resized.jpg
20160924_134242_resized.jpg
20160924_184101_resized.jpg
20160928_114047_resized.jpg

'Fall Gold' raspberries. So delicious, and very sweet. I was sad to no longer grow the bushes. This one was on the bucket list.
20181004_135616_resized.jpg

I bet a lot of moms' with young kids grow this kale, since one of the names it goes by is 'dinosaur kale'. That's why I did, at first. The things we do to get them to eat more vegetables!
20160924_181800_resized.jpg

20160924_183704_resized.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The pear shaped yellow squash was one of the finest pattypans I've ever eaten. The texture was just excellent cooked, and the production was outstanding. It's called 'Papaya'. Unfortunately it was a hybrid, so could not collect seeds. I've switched to OP types since.
20160924_134852_resized.jpg
20161007_175039_resized.jpg

One of my favourite super-hots 'Piazinho'. Very productive, even outdoors, and has great taste, which not all superhots do.
20160924_180803_resized.jpg

'Orange Russian #117'. Legendary.
20160919_135347_resized.jpg

Two 'Big Yellow Zebras'. There are a lot of yellow tomatoes out there I've adored, and this is one. Right up there with Azoychka and Yellow Platfoot Brandywine.
20160919_133521_resized.jpg

'Morelle de Balbis'. The spikiest plant I grow, but the fruit is worth it.
20160919_172429_resized.jpg

'Orange Banana' ❤️
20160919_134930_resized.jpg

'Mint Julep' Wierdo.
20160919_130918_resized.jpg
20160809_232841_resized_1.jpg
20160810_144659_resized.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Morelle de Balbis'. The spikiest plant I grow, but the fruit is worth it.
View attachment 41602

thorns! arg! love the looks of the fruits though. would love to try the taste, but surely do not want anything with thorns here. i have enough troubles... :)

anyone cross breed this to remove the thorns yet? :)

Latest posts