A Seed Saver's Garden

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weekly updates

The big disappointment of the wee was discovering that the marigold I planned to save seed from produced no viable seed. And since the whole plant (which didn't look so great to begin with) came up when I tried to remove the seed head, there won't be any chances for more.

On the side, the Lablabs look GREAT as do the lupines. The grass peas are still alive, but seem to be languishing (probably because it is so hot now and they like cool weather). The mothe bean in that pot, however, is doing fine.

Something came in and yanked up a lot of the other bindweed like thing I planted (I think there is only one left intact). But on the bright side, I see some blades in there, so the critters must not have gotten ALL the grain I planted.
In the back, the main problem is that the Cuban oregano seems to be in stasis. It isn't dead, like the juniper thyme was, but it isn't really growing either. And my ability to use it relies on it growing like crazy; fast enough to outgrow my picking needs.

Actually, ALL of the herbs I planted this year are off to a slow start, I'm not sure ANY of them have put on much growth. I'm not even totally sure the Egyptian mint is still there (as it isn't planted on the patio, I don't see it the moment I go out, and checking on it in the shade garden relies on me REMEMBERING to take a look when I walk by, which would normally only be if I am going around that side of the house to get to the driveway.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Weekly updates

The big disappointment of the wee was discovering that the marigold I planned to save seed from produced no viable seed. And since the whole plant (which didn't look so great to begin with) came up when I tried to remove the seed head, there won't be any chances for more.

On the side, the Lablabs look GREAT as do the lupines. The grass peas are still alive, but seem to be languishing (probably because it is so hot now and they like cool weather). The mothe bean in that pot, however, is doing fine.

Something came in and yanked up a lot of the other bindweed like thing I planted (I think there is only one left intact). But on the bright side, I see some blades in there, so the critters must not have gotten ALL the grain I planted.
In the back, the main problem is that the Cuban oregano seems to be in stasis. It isn't dead, like the juniper thyme was, but it isn't really growing either. And my ability to use it relies on it growing like crazy; fast enough to outgrow my picking needs.

Actually, ALL of the herbs I planted this year are off to a slow start, I'm not sure ANY of them have put on much growth. I'm not even totally sure the Egyptian mint is still there (as it isn't planted on the patio, I don't see it the moment I go out, and checking on it in the shade garden relies on me REMEMBERING to take a look when I walk by, which would normally only be if I am going around that side of the house to get to the driveway.
Grass peas like cool weather? I didn't know that, but this year is my first try with it so I have lots to learn. Which marigold variety did you try @Pulsegleaner ? I tried some Hyacinth beans (the common one, purple pod) a few years ago with zero results, probably too shady a spot plus it was crowded in with other vines. Are they easy to grow, when well spaced and in full sun? Would you recommend it? I'd like to try an oregano someday. Part of why I haven't is because there are so many types I have no idea which one is like the dried oregano I buy for cooking, which would be the flavour I'm after. DH brought an oregano plant home once, a division from a coworker, it grew like a weed but tasted blah. After that I had big time oregano confusion.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grass peas like cool weather? I didn't know that, but this year is my first try with it so I have lots to learn. Which marigold variety did you try @Pulsegleaner ? I tried some Hyacinth beans (the common one, purple pod) a few years ago with zero results, probably too shady a spot plus it was crowded in with other vines. Are they easy to grow, when well spaced and in full sun? Would you recommend it? I'd like to try an oregano someday. Part of why I haven't is because there are so many types I have no idea which one is like the dried oregano I buy for cooking, which would be the flavour I'm after. DH brought an oregano plant home once, a division from a coworker, it grew like a weed but tasted blah. After that I had big time oregano confusion.
Yes, they are fond of cooler weather, same as English (common) peas and chickpeas. In places like the Mediterranean and such, they are crops for growing DURING the "winter", since there even the winter is still well above freezing.

I'm not sure if you could call it a "variety" on the marigold. Much like sometimes happens to me with the pansies, I happened to see a marigold plant whose flower color and pattern I particularly liked in those available at my local nursery (in this case, deep crimson petals with an orange "bunch" right in the center), and decided I would like more of them the next year if I could. I think the tag said that it belonged to the Fiesta Mix, but I am not sure.

With lablab beans (I tend to prefer this term to hyacinth beans, since there are a lot of types that are NOT purple) One often faces problems on both ends, even if the middle is OK. They can be hard to get germinating. In particular, there the only legume I have found so far where the seed has to be 100% mature to be viable, so if you are working with not quite there seed (like, say, if you got them out of a slightly past picking age pod you found in the Indian supermarket, as I often have), it doesn't work. On the other end of the line, most lablabs are VERY day length sensitive, and require a growing season WAY longer than the one I have to flower and bear pods. About the only type I KNOW will go full cycle here is Ruby Moon, which I consider a bit boring (and since you are even further north than I am, even THAT might not work for you.)

I wish I could help, but you are correct, there are a LOT of oreganos, that vary quite a bit, from Greek, to Italian to Turkish. The one I grow is Origanum maru (Syrian oregano) but that is probably WAY stronger than what you would want (you can get all the flavor you would need for a whole pizza from one leaf of that.) Cuban oregano (which isn't actually an oregano at all, as a Plectranthus, it's more closely related to the Coleus you would use for a groundcover.) I use extensively because of the fact that, as a succulent, you can more or less get oregano juice out of it, which speeds up getting the flavor into thinks like horatiki (that Greek salad with the tomatoes and the cucumbers and feta.)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a single dino (lacinato) kale left after the groundhog pillaging all the others a month ago, so I planted it in an extra pot I had. Every morning there was new damage, critters snacking through the night no doubt, probably snails. So I tried the eggshell mulch suggested in the eggshell thread and it REALLY worked. The kale now has no damage at all now, like it has a magic shield. The eggshells weren't even dried, I just squished up the shells into shards as I used up eggs and put it in the pot. That was a great tip!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HeirloomGal, I have been successful spraying organic insecticide on the ground around plants that the slugs are enjoying. (We don't have many snails - slugs, we've got.)

Slugs would hang out in the lawn grass and in the bushes that were near one garden. I suppose, out they would come at nightfall.

Apparently, they didn't like to crawl across the insecticide. Copper is supposed to keep them out on garden borders and you are having success with egg shells. With rain or watering, the spray wouldn't last; those two will.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just got back from checking over the back patio, and there are two pieces of bad news, one piece of good news and once piece of ASTONISHING news.

The first piece of bad news is that the one Giant Key lime seed that DID in fact sprout didn't make it, the top rotted off (Maybe I should have kept it inside until I actually saw leaves. So, when the store I got the seed from is open again (it's taking a break) I suppose I'll just have to get more and try again (I just wish the seed wasn't so damn expensive, this little experiment is going to wind up costing me over $100!)

The second is that the single tomato seedling in the left hand tomato pot appears to have disappeared.

The good news is that there are now four seedlings in the right hand tomato pot (up from two last time).

And now for the astonishing news. When I went to look at the pot where I am keeping the Ice Cream Sandwich Bean plant for the summer (technically my one and only bean network bean, and one that is going to need special handling, which is why it is potted.) I appears I was WRONG about all of the Blacker than Black tomato seeds I put in before being spoiled and gone. One of them must have been OK, because there is a tomato plant growing out of the pot as well! In fact, despite having to have not been there for long (since it wasn't there the last time I looked,) it already DOUBLE the size of any of the other tomato seedlings. Must be a real vigorous one.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just got back from checking over the back patio, and there are two pieces of bad news, one piece of good news and once piece of ASTONISHING news.

The first piece of bad news is that the one Giant Key lime seed that DID in fact sprout didn't make it, the top rotted off (Maybe I should have kept it inside until I actually saw leaves. So, when the store I got the seed from is open again (it's taking a break) I suppose I'll just have to get more and try again (I just wish the seed wasn't so damn expensive, this little experiment is going to wind up costing me over $100!)

The second is that the single tomato seedling in the left hand tomato pot appears to have disappeared.

The good news is that there are now four seedlings in the right hand tomato pot (up from two last time).

And now for the astonishing news. When I went to look at the pot where I am keeping the Ice Cream Sandwich Bean plant for the summer (technically my one and only bean network bean, and one that is going to need special handling, which is why it is potted.) I appears I was WRONG about all of the Blacker than Black tomato seeds I put in before being spoiled and gone. One of them must have been OK, because there is a tomato plant growing out of the pot as well! In fact, despite having to have not been there for long (since it wasn't there the last time I looked,) it already DOUBLE the size of any of the other tomato seedlings. Must be a real vigorous one.
Glad to hear your rare tomato variety is still going! I'm going to have to Google Black than Black tomato and Ice Cream Sandwich Bean.....

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's remarkable what a nice week of sunny, moderate weather and a good rain will do!

First radish pods are salad ready!
20220706_175651.jpg

Fava beans are forming!
20220706_171900.jpg

Lacinato kale saved by eggshells! (The small holes in the dark green leaves were there prior to the mulch.)
20220706_171114.jpg

I've never been able to get an Armenian cucumbers to sprout before, let alone grow. This doesn't mean I'll actually harvest anything of course, but at least I've got some leaves! It's a glimmer of possibility!
20220706_165553.jpg

Turkish watermelons are gaining in size.......a little. They liked the rain.
20220706_165406.jpg

The 5 Spot is blooming!
20220706_181224.jpg

Purple Magic potatoes are blooming, though a few Purple Peruvian volunteers are in there too. So many potato volunteers this year.
20220706_165150.jpg

Caterpillar plants have teeny yellow blooms!
20220706_181259.jpg

The pole beans really appreciated the rain.
These are Giant Armenian Black and Fissile R. K. I think.
20220706_180108.jpg

The chufa nuts took awhile to start growing well, but they have really greened up and lengthened in the last while. So excited to harvest this one. If it does well I'm going to plant a ton more next year.
20220706_165139.jpg

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear your rare tomato variety is still going! I'm going to have to Google Black than Black tomato and Ice Cream Sandwich Bean.....
Don't bother, you won't find either. Blacker than Black is MY name for the tomato it came from, which was the darkest tomato I had ever seen; it was basically nearly purply black all the way down to the blossom end (by which point most "black" tomatoes have faded to pink or red. And no, I checked when I opened it for its seed, it did NOT have the purple skin gene (which, with enough sun, could have theoretically resulted in a tomato that had eggplant colored skin over its entire surface.)

Ice Cream Sandwich is a Joe Simcox bean that Russ was kind enough to send me two or so years ago. At the time, he thought it might be some kind of lablab bean which is why I was interested. It turns out it isn't, it's just a common bean that happens to have a vaguely lablab like seed coat pattern. When I got the seed, Russ informed me that, since there was so little, he had sent ALL of it to me, which made trying to get seed back extra important. So I dutifully planted the eight seeds listed on the packet by my patio wall (where I grow my cucumbers now). They grew quite well, but, unfortunately, never made any flowers (based on some extra research I did in Joe Simcox's photo blog, I have come to the conclusion that Joe acquired the bean somewhere in mid Colombia, so the issue was probably one of it needing a longer season that I had.

Fast forward to just before this spring when, going through my seed files, I found the original envelope, and saw there was still a seed in it. I had forgotten that, while the package had said eight seeds, there had actually been nine in there, and I had kept one back for comparison purposes. Trying to think of a way I might still have a chance to regenerate the bean, I finally decided that the best thing I could do was to plant it in as large a pot as I could carry (to give it maximum root space) and leave it outside for the summer. Then, when the cold weather comes, I would carry the pot, plant and all, inside my house and let it finish there (I have to assume that, no matter HOW long its required season is, it HAS to be less than 365 days!) I sent my proposal to Russ, and he agreed. So that's where we stand, with the bean plant growing in its pot outside, getting as much sun as it can.

I see no reason why this SHOULDN'T work, I mean, I've done more or less the same thing before for other plants (my Kenaf came in, bloomed in January and, with a little hand pollinating made some seeds* So did my Sunn Hemp, though that, while it did flower, didn't make seeds (Sunn Hemp needs insect pollination, and it has a "tripwire" kind of flower arrangement like peas, which I don't know how to do.) Pretty flowers, though. My "paddle plant" (one of the unknowns I grew from found seed) actually lived two or three years making flowers and seeds, and my manihot plant lived at least four or five years, making seed the whole time**

*Kenaf is not self fertile, but I was lucky enough to have two growing, so whenever both had a flower at the same time, I could fertilize them.

**Which surprised me, since I thought manihot wasn't self fertile either (very few members of the mallow family are), and I only had one. And I DIDN'T actively pollinate it, it kept self pollinating itself (very effectively, in fact, unlike the kenaf, where I only got one or two seeds per cross to appear, every pod was full and I must have gotten nearly a thousand seeds off that plant during its lifetime.

Latest posts