A Seed Saver's Garden

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first that crop/seed variety innovation suffers without patents. I'd prefer there be no patents on Creation, but, I'd have to agree that this is indeed what has happened with the OP seeds. Which is a fair price to pay. If there is no valuable reward or opportunity for growth on the part of a developer, it isn't realistic to expect anyone to want to go in that direction seriously. Especially when your work can be 'pirated' (in a way) so quickly & easily.
Agreed. The widespread corruption of publicly funded breeding by industry, and the patenting of those 'products' by Big Ag, often runs contrary to the public interest. Those cultivars are often protected by highly restrictive patents, which prohibit seed saving - and even possession of plants or seed - without license. Sadly, most of the publicly funded open-pollinated breeding programs (such as those of Professor Elwyn Meader) which once developed improved varieties for the public at large, have been replaced by such programs.

But open-pollinated breeding programs, and the amount of time & effort involved in them, can't reasonably be expected to continue based solely upon altruistic motives. A breeder should have the opportunity to receive reasonable compensation for what is often their life's work. In the U.S., there is a 'patent' program developed for just that purpose - the Plant Variety Protection (PVP) program. This allows open-pollinated breeders exclusive rights to produce & sell their developments for a certain amount of time. Unlike plant utility patents (such as GMOs) which are licensed & highly restrictive, no special license is required to purchase, grow, or own PVP varieties... and seed & nursery stock for PVP varieties can be marketed directly to the public. The purchaser can save seed & multiply stock for their own use - but to protect the breeder, can't legally sell or share with others. This would be a good model to protect breeders in other nations.

I strongly object to the concept of patented lifeforms, especially where that concerns anything used for food. Nothing should be allowed to infringe upon food sovereignty, the right of all people to freely choose what does - or does not - become part of one's body.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Agreed. The widespread corruption of publicly funded breeding by industry, and the patenting of those 'products' by Big Ag, often runs contrary to the public interest. Those cultivars are often protected by highly restrictive patents, which prohibit seed saving - and even possession of plants or seed - without license. Sadly, most of the publicly funded open-pollinated breeding programs (such as those of Professor Elwyn Meader) which once developed improved varieties for the public at large, have been replaced by such programs.

But open-pollinated breeding programs, and the amount of time & effort involved in them, can't reasonably be expected to continue based solely upon altruistic motives. A breeder should have the opportunity to receive reasonable compensation for what is often their life's work. In the U.S., there is a 'patent' program developed for just that purpose - the Plant Variety Protection (PVP) program. This allows open-pollinated breeders exclusive rights to produce & sell their developments for a certain amount of time. Unlike plant utility patents (such as GMOs) which are licensed & highly restrictive, no special license is required to purchase, grow, or own PVP varieties... and seed & nursery stock for PVP varieties can be marketed directly to the public. The purchaser can save seed & multiply stock for their own use - but to protect the breeder, can't legally sell or share with others. This would be a good model to protect breeders in other nations.

I strongly object to the concept of patented lifeforms, especially where that concerns anything used for food. Nothing should be allowed to infringe upon food sovereignty, the right of all people to freely choose what does - or does not - become part of one's body.
Lots of great info in this post @Zeedman. I'm not familiar with the intricacies of seed patenting and rights, just a wee bit of exploring in regards to OSSI. I've never come across any PVP varieties that I'm aware, of varieties that were once PVP's. Are there any famous ones? I guess the pool from which I draw new seeds doesn't seem to overlap with much of the protected seed world. I do have a few OSSI tomatoes, but I did some research on that in the last while, and it turns out none of their indications are legally binding.

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very well put @Pulsegleaner. The basic principle does essentially apply to everything.
Yeah, when it comes to people, and anything people are involved with, natural selection, while it still does exist, tends to be trumped by artificial selection. And, while the teleological argument for natural selection is dubious (outside of theological circles), its existence in human run ones is undeniable. In dealing with human choices, the concept of bioteleology is perfectly valid.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If you intend to grow watermelon or ANY squash, bear in mind that your nemesis is the squash vine borer.
It will decimate your crop almost overnight.
BUT, the fly has a season. If you can plant so that the flowering begins after the fly is done laying eggs, you can still get a crop.
There are MANY articles about this, her is one to ponder:
...more...

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Alasgun I thought you'd find this funny; I couple months ago, can't remember exactly (Nov I think) I bought a roll of copper with the thought of using it with plant starts when the time comes, maybe a few of the overwintering peppers.
IMG_5780.JPG
Never got around to using it though. I put the little roll on DH's orchid light table (where I'm also overwintering the pep's and a few others). The orchids on this table are really old, probably 10 years or more, DH should probably get rid of them. They like humidity which we don't have, and over the years the blooming has really dropped off to the point I don't think they're worth keeping around (he doesn't feel the same haha). Even when they do bloom, it's a meagre show. Anyway, I can't say for sure but out of the blue a few of the orchids seemed to ressurect, and put on a bloom show we haven't seen in many years, maybe since they were purchased. Could the copper on the table have had an influence? It's got us wondering! He was so inspired by this turn around he wrapped some skewers with the coppers and stuck them in the pots, as you can see in the 3rd pic. That's one (ancient) orchid plant!
IMG_5789.JPG
IMG_5787.JPG
IMG_5777.JPG

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Alasgun I thought you'd find this funny; I couple months ago, can't remember exactly (Nov I think) I bought a roll of copper with the thought of using it with plant starts when the time comes, maybe a few of the overwintering peppers.
View attachment 63554 Never got around to using it though. I put the little roll on DH's orchid light table (where I'm also overwintering the pep's and a few others). The orchids on this table are really old, probably 10 years or more, DH should probably get rid of them. They like humidity which we don't have, and over the years the blooming has really dropped off to the point I don't think they're worth keeping around (he doesn't feel the same haha). Even when they do bloom, it's a meagre show. Anyway, I can't say for sure but out of the blue a few of the orchids seemed to ressurect, and put on a bloom show we haven't seen in many years, maybe since they were purchased. Could the copper on the table have had an influence? It's got us wondering! He was so inspired by this turn around he wrapped some skewers with the coppers and stuck them in the pots, as you can see in the 3rd pic.
View attachment 63556View attachment 63555View attachment 63557
Those orchids are absolutely spectacular. I love the intense colour. 💗

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
View attachment 63554 Never got around to using it though. I put the little roll on DH's orchid light table (where I'm also overwintering the pep's and a few others). The orchids on this table are really old, probably 10 years or more, DH should probably get rid of them. They like humidity which we don't have, and over the years the blooming has really dropped off to the point I don't think they're worth keeping around (he doesn't feel the same haha). Even when they do bloom, it's a meagre show. Anyway, I can't say for sure but out of the blue a few of the orchids seemed to ressurect, and put on a bloom show we haven't seen in many years, maybe since they were purchased. Could the copper on the table have had an influence? It's got us wondering! He was so inspired by this turn around he wrapped some skewers with the coppers and stuck them in the pots, as you can see in the 3rd pic. That's one (ancient) orchid plant!
Gorgeous! 😍

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
View attachment 63554 Never got around to using it though. I put the little roll on DH's orchid light table (where I'm also overwintering the pep's and a few others). The orchids on this table are really old, probably 10 years or more, DH should probably get rid of them. They like humidity which we don't have, and over the years the blooming has really dropped off to the point I don't think they're worth keeping around (he doesn't feel the same haha). Even when they do bloom, it's a meagre show. Anyway, I can't say for sure but out of the blue a few of the orchids seemed to ressurect, and put on a bloom show we haven't seen in many years, maybe since they were purchased. Could the copper on the table have had an influence? It's got us wondering! He was so inspired by this turn around he wrapped some skewers with the coppers and stuck them in the pots, as you can see in the 3rd pic. That's one (ancient) orchid plant!
Those blooms are totally gorgeous. Good thing you didn't discard this plant! Can you run a humidifier near these plants? I wonder if the proximity of copper wire could have had an effect, as you speculated. Maybe bring in more copper wire or other copper items?

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
From here they look like Phalenopsis, Dendrobium and Meltoniopsis, pardon my spelling!
Years ago i dabbled in Orchids but gave them up due to “too many irons in the fire”.
Those are beautiful and your mention of there age makes me think the electro charge may be acting like a pace maker?💡
I’ll be wrapping some smallish spirals to use in the start room now. ‘Pictures soon’

I don’t think we need a vote; im pretty sure you ARE the undisputed ⚡️“Queen of Electro-Culture”!✨ Thanks for sharing.

I was shaving, getting ready for Church when i had this epiphany and had to come back! When we use these outside we are drawing this energy from the atmosphere in micro amounts. Having “antenna’s” that close to an energy source (grow lights) is probably having an effect due to the higher intensity? Look at it like a “combined cycle” sort of thing. I’m pretty sure you’re capturing those errant bits of energy AND recycling them in a positive way!
When i explore my grow area with the Gauss meter, i see far more activity than i ever did outside. A heating mat is putting out 10 times as much as the T-5 lights but both are “far more active” than anything i saw in the garden last year!

Sorry if im sounding a little Timothy Leary’ish!

Last edited: