A sign of spring in New York

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no, I didn't realize you got hit that hard by the storm. We ended up with a couple of inches of very wet snow. It will all be gone after tomorrows sunshine.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What kind of supplemental heat do you use? I'm squirreling away my pennies to get my greenhouse. Although knowing you sit in the warm sunshine may help my cause my wife would love sitting in a warm sunny spot and read her Nook.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
What kind of supplemental heat do you use? I'm squirreling away my pennies to get my greenhouse. Although knowing you sit in the warm sunshine may help my cause my wife would love sitting in a warm sunny spot and read her Nook.
I use an electric forced air heater with a thermostat. It is selectable for 1300 or 1500 watts, which is large enough for a greenhouse the size of mine. You can buy one at Home Depot for about twenty dollars. They will probably put them away soon until next season, so if you want one you should think about it.

I should also mention that Harbor Freight has the 8" x 6' on sale until mid June for $199.99, which is a fantastic price. You will need a coupon though.

Jack B

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Oh no, I didn't realize you got hit that hard by the storm. We ended up with a couple of inches of very wet snow. It will all be gone after tomorrows sunshine.
My part of the state got 7in but its been in the 50s all weekend so most melted.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Jack I'm familiar with them. I'm dying with the greenhouses at that price!!!! If I wasn't buying the house I'd be all over that.

sdavie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
One of the neighbouring houses near me has a crab apple that is in bud! We too got all that snow in February and it's finally starting to melt off. My front lawn (which is probably 10ft by 5ft was about 4ft deep in snow until last week.

sharon.bender

Sprout
Reaction score
Does that heat in the grenhouse grow with time in sun because inside my greenhouse is only eight degrees warmer than outside but I have only had it up for 24 hours.thanks sharon.bender

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course, a lot of things influence passive greenhouse heating. Haze. Hours of darkness influence overnight heat loss. Wind can be a pretty big deal.

This might not be real encouraging for overnight temperatures, Sharon:

What are they capable of? (click)

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
sharon.bender said:
Does that heat in the grenhouse grow with time in sun because inside my greenhouse is only eight degrees warmer than outside but I have only had it up for 24 hours.thanks sharon.bender
It really depends on the the angle and brightness of the sun. Right now it is kind of overcast and the temperature outdoors is in the upper thirties while the temperature in the greenhouse is 57. On a cloudless sunny day I have seen the greenhouse temperature in the mid eighties when outdoors it is in the forties. I have a remote thermometer to monitor the greenhouse.

Jack B