A Tale of Two Turkeys

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've had an increase here as well. Open season on coyotes and DNR restocking has helped.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hope you figure out the turkey problem. Sorry to hear about your losses. We have a small flock of wild turkeys living on and around the property. There used to be six of them but for the last few weeks I've seen only four. There was an older jake hanging with them this past spring, so maybe they will breed a bigger flock.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love wild turkey! So much richer flavor than any store bought bird. You have to be careful because they are MUCH Alexander than grocery store birds so they tend to dry out. Little lower temps, cover the roasting pan with foil and a healthy dose of stock with fresh herbs in the bottom of the pan does wonders for them.

@journey11 Im honestly not surprised that they are so fragile. They've lost their function to the broad breasted whites and bronze birds. They are more of a show breed than a functional reproducible breed.

Their weakness isnt your fault at all, it's just the state of the breed. I think if you get a small flick going you could absolutely get a nice batch if them going and have strong healthy birds as the member on BYC has. It just may take a few chicks to get enough to find out who's sturdy and who isn't.

The ALBC has a great article on selection and now look at how the Buckeye has become a reliable dual purpose homestead breed again.

http://albc-usa.etapwss.com/images/uploads/docs/ALBCchicken_assessment-1.pdf

From the page here http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/chicken-manual

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'd love to have some turkeys in my flock again but my city put in restrictions last year that limit me to 10 birds in my flock and that includes any combo of chickens and turkeys. i'm pushing that figure at the moment since have older birds in my flock and i added chicks this past spring. i think i've up to about 15 chickens and my 2 peahens.

i'll just have to make due with the wild ones that run through my yard. :p

Latest posts