A Tale of Two Turkeys

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
peacocks can be much noisier than the hens (i don't have one). but my girls do make what they refer to as a 'mewing' noise and it sort of sounds like someone yelling 'heelllp' 'heelllp'. they will do that a couple times with a couple of 'gronk' noises then stop. they may do this in the morning when let out and will do it just before they go in for the night if i don't put them up before they start calling again. they may do the noise during the day but not much unless something is disturbing them. i don't let the birds out till after 7am on weekdays and during the weekends they get out shortly after 8am.

i mostly hear the 'gronk' noise from them. spring is when they can be their loudest and this might be why the code enforcer came out. he didn't say anything about the peahens to my dh. seems he was focused on my roosters at that time.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The turkey is the only animal that was domesticated in North America .
If I remember correctly ... an addendum: ...The domesticated turkey of today was first domesticated by the native peoples of S. America over 1,000 years ago. Then the Spanish explorers braught them to Europe and bred several breed types there before the European immigrants braught the turkey to N. America.

Latest posts