A type of Morning Glory

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
About three years ago, I got some cuttings of a vine from a man a few blocks from my house. Every year, if they get hit with frost, they die back and I remove all the vines. But by early spring they are covering the fence and trellis again.

MorningGloryArchemail.jpg

They grow like crazy. The vines are 20 to 60 feet if left alone. They have big blue flowers, that stay open all day, and change color during the day from blue to lavendars and bright fushia at times depending on the temperature.

Here is the flower when blue.

MorningGloriescloseupwithhandemail.jpg

Here they are after being open all day
MorningGloriescloseupemail.jpg

Here is a close up of the shape of the leaves
BlueMorningGloryleafbiggeremail.jpg

They do not put out any seeds, they strictly grow from the vines taking root.

Anybody know what they are called?

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I found out they are a perennial morning glory from South America.

In my studies of this plant I learned the Sweet Potatoes are in the same family as the Morning Glory, they are all in the "Ipomoea" family.

It was surprising to find out there are hundreds of type of Morning Glories.

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just read up on them in Sunset's Western Garden Book. They did well for me here in Eastern Colorado. The book mentioned the Scarlet O'Hara variety and it's large flowers. I am going to try that one this spring. I saved a few seeds from the Heavenly Blue this year.

Last years Grandpa Ott's (heirloom variety) produced tons of seeds so I can see how they can spread and keep coming back. Sounds like your low temperatures aren't low enough to kill underground how lucky for you. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just bought a 'mixed' variety of morning glory seed. I hope to see something that strong come up! I wouldn't want to replant every year... but I did think morning glory was self sowing, or annual?

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They are a little of both. They are annuals that can self sow. The amount of seeds they produce varies on how well thet grew in the summer. I've had some make tons of seeds and anothers not so much.:)

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Those are the one's I had at the Gulf !! While at the local post office a piece of that plant fell off and landed in my car ,when I got home I planted it and it grew and grew :D , It grew up into the electric lines and electric company cut it out , they were perennial,they stayed open all day in the heat and they produced NO seeds.... I loved them !!
When I moved,I took cuttings but they died,I had a friend send me more cuttings and they also died so maby it's the soil or has to be something but they just wouldn't grow and I have always looked for them but never found anymore, so you are a luck girl to have the Beautiful plant ! :)

rosajrms

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hmm.

Morning glories here are an obnoxious weed. The flower are white and the leaves smaller than shown in the picture. I do kind of like them draping over fences with their bell flowers, but, they will choke out all other plants that you have.

Between morning glories and himalayan blackberries, I started my garden this past year in dollar store baskets with black plastic bags as liners.

Related to sweet potatoes? Very interesting. If I could just get sweet potatoes to grow like morning glories. lol

thanks for sharing

Latest posts