A very interesting plant???

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What is it?
This volunteer showed up in one of my raised beds. I have watered it and watched it grow for almost 4 months. It has small yellow flowers, large heart-shaped leaves and the seed pods have very sharp needles. It's about 4 ft tall.
20200826_203224.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
... and if the seeds make it to the ground, they can remain dormant (but alive) forever. They show up here in construction sites, where the soil has been undisturbed for 10 years or longer.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Pull out the seedheads and burn or toss in the trash. Use gloves. I picked up a nice new pair of goat leather gloves yesterday at Rural King.
Wait for a rain, then pull out by the roots. Invasive, but there are weeds that are more invasive than this one.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we've seen it pop up here but i will remove it because we sure don't need any more weeds trying to take over. the pods are interesting. seeds look like they'll stick to things to travel.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Although the seeds are persistent, it's not really difficult, as weeds go... pretty easy to remove. I planted a couple fruit trees this year, and where I planted one of them, some velvet leaf came up. No worries, since that area will all return to lawn. It's not a bad SHTF plant either, if we ever again have a TP shortage. ;)

Latest posts