A walk through the garden

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
When I go out and see things sprouting it makes all the sore muscles and hard work worth it. Today the garlic is about 8 inches tall, the onions slightly taller. My asparagus ferns are about 2 feet tall and the artichokes are finally showing new growth. The lettuce, broccoli, cabbage and swiss chard aren't doing too well because of the heat (already 80 most days here) but I'll get something from them. The sweet corn is about 2 inches tall already and so are the bush beans, pumpkins, squash, and melons we planted 10 days ago. The tomatoes have been in the ground for 2 weeks and they have already grown a couple of inches. I still need to make some trellises for the cucumbers, zucchini, and yellow squash. I still have a little bit of planting to do, but so far the year is off to a good start.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a great start!! Do you usually trellis your squash plants? Mine just grow like a small bush-so I never have... I keep looking at my asparagus, I am eagerly awaiting that! Enjoy your beautiful garden!

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That sounds awesome, Mama! I'm at least a month behind you, although so far my lettuce has come up like crazy and our asparagus is starting to clear the ground. it's going to be soooo hard to leave the spears unharvested this year! Isn't your asparagus new, too?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
Isn't your asparagus new, too?
Yes, it is. I just put it in in February. Every spear that breaks through is such a temptation, but I want a good harvest in the years to come, so I'll be good.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our red spanish garlic (which I had to wait 6 months to get) is doing OK in the garden but fantastic in my wick-based hydroponics ;)

The in-ground single garlic (which was taken from the hydro setup when young) is perhaps 4-5" tall whereas the hydro garlic (12 heads) are quickly closing in at 18".. In another month or two I'll start another round of garlic to ensure I've got plenty to re-start since I've only got so many heads left.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow Mama, you really have the gardens going on, keep it going! :D I just ate the seasons first radish, it is so worth all the work! :)

Latest posts