A wonderful way to recycle old tyres

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used a sawzall to cut the sidewalls out of a couple of car sized tires that were to be used to weight and stabalize a feeder for my horse.
Once I had 1 side out, the tire bacame so unstable that no matter what I did it was pretty much moving with the saw - making no progress but shaking my teeth loose. LOL!
They're really not as hard to slice as you might think. A good, sharp knife will do a good job without risking your dental work.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love tools too, and dh likes to buy them for me.:)
One Christmas he bought me a grinder, a sawzall, and a drill, all cordless. He thought I could use them for work.....but so far none of them have been needed for gardening. ;)
I know what Cane means about the sawzall, I used it to cut some pvc pipe that I had gripped in the bench vise and ended up shattering rather than cutting the pipe. But they are very handy for lots of other things and if my husband imagines that I will abandon those tools so he can scoop them up, well, he just has another think coming.:D

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@baymule your SIL is a lucky man! I wish my MIL or DH would buy me tools. O.K. he did buy me a saw once... A manual one, but it worked well enough.

@canesisters that's good to know. I wonder if I can find someone who turns old tyres into swings and ask them what they use...

Of course cutting the thing is just the start. I don't have the foggiest idea how I'm going to turn it inside out afterwards! Tyres are not exactly flexible, so I might need some manpower for that step...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are really clever! Chickens, gardening and recycling...how can you go wrong?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Yes, it ticks all the boxes, doesn't it? :)

Latest posts