Aaaah

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . foot bath
iconhi_zps91d59776.gif

Oh, it does feel good! Do you suppose the Epsom salt does anything?

I've got a problem with a foot; more than normal, anyway. It might be the rheumatoid arthritis problems I used to have - could just be osteoarthritis. Not that I'm olde or anything.

With the rheumatoid arthritis, I'd usually have skin problems even if the joints affected were in my feet . . . Walking helped. Yep. But, everything is covered with ice outdoors and i"m limping pretty bad.

Epsom salt foot bath wouldn't be a 1st choice for skin rashes but there's none of that. Can't remember any real help to the joints other than the pleasure of the hot water.

aaahhh :p.

Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, I found a good foot soak online. Fill a basin of some sorts with as much hot water as you can tolerate. Then add some apple cider vinegar, some peroxide, and some Listerine mouth wash. I don't measure. Just glug.

Then I get 2 bath towels and toss them on the floor next to the foot soak. Dip feet in, (and out), till you can stand to let them soak a while. The heat relaxes the feet, and achey joints. The hot water also increases blood flow to your feet, hepling to start the healing process.

I had injured my left foot this past June when I stepped sideways in a hole in our yard. Not a twisted ankle, but a twisted arch. In addition to that foot having 2 stress fractures from when I was working a production line and 4 separate stations at the same time. Now, not only does it hurt when I put weight on my foot, but the small foot bone on top, with the stress fractures get irritated. I have been useless this summer and fall. :idunno

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has always seemed strange to me that our feet, that have to withstand so much abuse and stress, are such delicate structures with fine bones and hardly any padding.
One of my feet is pretty gnarled by RA. By now, I think the bent big toe is causing pressure on a nerve, and that gives me fits occasionally. I think I'm gonna have to become friends with an orthopedic surgeon soon. :(
I used to have one of those hot wax foot baths. It was nice, but kind of went out of fashion. I don't know where I would get the wax for it anymore.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You can find almost anything on Amazon anymore. I found a parrafin bath for the hands, at the goodwill. But I'll have to buy the wax on Amazon.

When I worked in a physical therapy dept for 3 yrs, not too long ago...I saw that many of the patients weren't much older than I was at the time. I decided I had better pay attention and take notes. Those mental notes have hlped me through alot of situations so far.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't remember doing a darn thing with this foot. That's why RA seemed about right.

Still, the problem is right under the ankle. When I used to have RA problems they were way down towards the toes. Like walking with a pebble or 2 in my shoe.

Moxies', that "recipe" sounds like it would be good for skin infections. I can imagine that benefit. The foot is obviously a little inflamed but the hot water still feels good. I'm not about to put it on ice! Wax? Oh, you are gonna get me thinking about what going to a spa might be like.

Steve
smilieinhamock.gif

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nah...no wax and no ice. Just the foot soak. I did try the Epsoms salts right when I turned my foot and injured it. It tore the skin up really bad for some reason. I am still working on getting that healed. Lots of Bag Balm applied for that.

so, when I found the Listerine soak...tired it...it helps the pain.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really?!

I've got something new to try & have used it 2 nights - nuthin', as best I can tell.

It is Voltarin and an anti-inflammatory gel. Oral anti-inflammatories work well for pain relief for me (over the counter or prescribed, any of those) but I have been taken off every single one I've tried. I don't really know if the MD wants me to use this stuff but I didn't even know about until recently. It has supposedly been around for 30 years, as best as I could figure out.

As I said - nuthin'. I will try it one more night. Might go to methyl salicylate, you know, Bengay. If this thing starts interfering with sleep, I'm all done with treating it myself but it seems to get a little better, just a sukoshi, each day.

Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I totally stopped taking any OTC NSAIDS back in Oct. The 15th to be exact. It just seemed like my arthritis pain would flair up after taking them. Since Oct 15th, my joint pain has eased considerably. I stopped taking Naproxen, and Ibuprofen.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are not wearing orthotics in your shoes I cannot recommend them high enough. My chiropractor bugged me for years to try them . I got immediate relief the first day and have worn them without foot pain for 3-4 years. Not the kind from the store. The kind where you step into a mold and they make them just for you. Worth the money!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did wear those at one time, Cat'.

I also wore a brace on this leg for a few years. It might be best if I used either the brace or an insert. Honestly, it is the other, "good" leg that has been giving me the most trouble for the last 2 years.

Need to be concerned about being able to walk if I've got 2 legs like this. Yeah, both "good" legs.

Steve

Latest posts