AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I MIGHT have poison ivy!!!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Monty: Dang! Running into a cow with a motorcycle is pretty hard to imagine, but running into a cow and then sliding into a big ole cactus! That must have hurt.

Marshall: I'm guessing there used to be old outhouses over were you were digging old bottles from? How old do you think they were?

I was cutting orange Habanero peppers once, to use for salsa. After I cut about twenty of them I went to use the bathroom without washing my hands first. That area had to be burning for a week!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed Obsessor, that particular site was behind where ole man Acquistapace said there used to be some kind of bar or cantina, and a very old fence ran directly over it. We did find a lot of broken glass nearby and decided it had been a shallow dug outhouse. Where we got them was probably more like the bottle dump. Jackpot, except for the poison oak.

I found a golden anniversary yellow glassed pre prohibition whisky bottle in perfect condition minus paper label. Nearly all the pre prohibition bottles were beautiful. Terre found a log cabin glass brandy with george washington sculpted part of the glass. Lots of glop tops were lower down, mostly broken, but we got a few good ones. A friend still has most of them. I guess the site was a cantina from around 1870 to 1920. Then it was Prune orchard, then that orchard was not cared for by mr. acquistapace, but a few prune trees remained. Mostly he cut and baled the mixed natural hay every year. There were several very old cantinas in the santa rosa area. one was still standing abandoned. It had several old cars parked in back including a 1950 ford, grasses growing inside them and such.

The best outhouse digs were downtown during urban renewal, especially behind the occidental hotel.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cool Marshall! I bought a $400 metal detector but haven't been able to go out and try it yet. I know that there are plenty of old churches and schools nearby, I'll have to old outhouses whenever I get to looking around. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
THANKS FOR ASKING!! I didn't even work on that part of the yard this year. :rolleyes:
Since my nice neighbor has been cleaning it up for me, I'll hit him up for exterminating the poison ivy last winter/next Spring, when I start taking apart what it left of the 50yo cattle fencing. I'm putting up faux, 2 panel wooden "horse" fencing in its place. It will be along the southeast corner of our property, next to the street, and should look pretty good, although I KNOW that it wouldn't really keep a horse IN. Soon I'll be asking for advice as to what perennials should go there. Some of it is shade, some partial shade and some gets enough sun to grow crops.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy Ducks, what perennials are on your list thinking of?

Latest posts