AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I MIGHT have poison ivy!!!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can usually spot the stuff from many yards away! Thank Goodness, because if I get anywhere near it I break out... BAD! :barnie DH only gets little spots. I can get it from his work clothes. Now when he comes in from mowing the lot or picking wild blackberries (Which grow smack in the middle of a large bed of it) I have him put all of his clothes in the wash and go wash himself off, too. The dog is not affected. Yet the oils cling to his fur and will rub off on me! Last time I had it, it took two cycles of steroids to clear. :he As much as I do not like using chemicels I will throw EVERYTHING at it if it starts growing where i may trod. Good luck ridding the yard and fenceline Ducks.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
The soap fels-naptha was originally made for poison ivy. I alway wash with it after working in yard.
Ditto, oh that reminds me I have a bar in the closet, better set it by the sink and USE IT!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
The soap fels-naptha was originally made for poison ivy. I alway wash with it after working in yard.
That is good to know!

If you at least have Dawn dishsoap on hand, quickly washing up with that and COLD water will make a big difference in reducing the rash later. Hot water spreads the oil faster, so always go with as cold of water as you can stand.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you're talking about you think you contacted poison oak, wash your whole body clean and all clothes. Use lots of soap and normal comfortable shower temperature water. first was hands and arms in sink.

Wash extremely thoroughly multiple times from toes upward.

=====

If you think you have it in your yard or other area that'll get contacted, kill the stuff. Bleach mixed with gasoline kills it deader n a doornail, and a spray bottle does it. Careful. Course, i'd never use it like that...

=====

Then again, who was it last year said she sends her goats in to eat it? or was i dreaming?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My poison ivy rash has been driving me crazy for weeks! On my ankles, wrists and hands. Interestingly, I am sure I got it weeding around my raspberry bushes. Who knew? I have been gardening here for more than 20 years and have never had poison ivy. I am blaming the birds... Haven't had a chance to get out there and see how much of it is around, but it is high on my to-do- list. Good luck!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i found it a couple years ago while working in my parents' yard hiding around their hosta. i had never seen it before so i had to look it up since i saw the 3 leaves and the slightly red shinny leaves. :/ all the years of doing the landscaping in that yard the only way it could have traveled to their yard it had to be from the birds.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
the bigger question is how long will this stuff affect the ground? i know roundup says it only affects the ground for 3 days and is supposed to flush away. but i noticed it didn't do much on some knotweed i tried taking out last year with the stuff. (i never noticed the directions mentioning having to keep applying till plant was gone.) this year i noticed it did something to the root clusters where i sprayed the original plants. the leaves of this year's knotweed were growing in deformed in the spots i sprayed. :idunno
Half life of 2-4D is 6.2 days. Why it could take couple of apps. I've had limited success using glysophate to kill it.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some on the dog fence, small patch I hack up during winter. Don't mind it much...I'm not allergic to it....yet. =/

Latest posts