? about cleaning sealed jars

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK, so its time to remove the rings, wash the outside of the jars and label for storage on the pantry shelf. I have a few particularly sticky jars of B&B pickles and blackberry pie filling. I don't have a problem washing the outside of the jars before I remove the ring, but am a little leary of washing the rim area after removing the ring, just in case I dislodge the sealed lid. Can any of you give advice on this? How close to the lid should I bother to wash or can I just leave that area sticky?

turtlejen

Sprout
Reaction score
I am not an expert since this is my first year canning, but I've already tried to open a couple of jars and had to pry the lid off with a knife! I don't think you'll have a problem if you're just washing. I wouldn't leave that area sticky though, you'll just invite flies :/

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If the lid gets dislodged while washing the thread area, either you are a MANIAC with a washcloth and should probably have it taken away from you and locked up, and YOU should probably be locked up too for the safety of the rest of us ;), or the jar wasn't sealed properly in the first place.

It'll be fine, really :) A sealed lid is vacuum-stuck on pretty tight. Wash away.

Have fun (tho not *maniacal* fun),

Pat

Latest posts