About currants

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There have been some very old laws on state law books regulating the transport of currents over state lines. I don't understand why.

Did you know that preliminary tests show currents to be effective in the treatment of MRSA? - a study done in Scotland a few years back. They have more antioxidants than blueberries.

I have this book. It's a good one. I plan on growing them after we get moved. They do well in poor soil.

http://books.google.com/books?id=a_...8TyqL&sig=IljbYTqitRvGmhao4f0CzW07eGI#PPP1,M1

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mackay said:
There have been some very old laws on state law books regulating the transport of currents over state lines. I don't understand why.

Did you know that preliminary tests show currents to be effective in the treatment of MRSA? - a study done in Scotland a few years back. They have more antioxidants than blueberries.

I have this book. It's a good one. I plan on growing them after we get moved. They do well in poor soil.

http://books.google.com/books?id=a_...8TyqL&sig=IljbYTqitRvGmhao4f0CzW07eGI#PPP1,M1
I just read in my copy of Putting Food By that currants in many areas were ripped out because they carried a disease (fungus? I don't have it in front of me) that threated the white pine trees. That may be the explanation. :/

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Currants are alternate host to something that's real bad for white pines, I want to say it's a rust but am not positive off the top of my head and too lazy to look it up. Thus, their sale/transport/culture has been regulated or banned in many states where white pines are of importance.

In more recent years it's been discovered/decided/theorized/whatever that it's not so much ALL currants that are the problem, just black (I think) currants, so they are more widely available now than they used to was.

Pat

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's hopeful then, since I want to grow red currants. I'm too lazy to go get my book that talked about it, but I will later and post what it was.

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay, here's what it says:
"Currants are a novelty item in certain sections of the United States where the bushes were uprooted because they harbored a fungus destructive to the white pine. If you are fortunate enough to have some, by all means maked jelly with them."

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Decided to look into this again after seeing some at Old Sturbridge Village. I contacted the Extension Agent here in CT. It is legal to grow red currants in CT. It is recommended to plant them 900 feet from any white pine. (White Pine blister rust is the disease currants caused a problem with) There are states where it is not legal to grow them.
Now I just need to find some and see if I have a suitable spot 900 feet from the enormous white pine in my backyard and the ones across the street in the neighbors' yards.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine are just coming ripe now -- not enough this year for jelly so we are picking every day or two for snacks or on breakfast cereal.

Everyone should have redcurrants :)

Pat

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I found Miller Nursery in Canandaigua NY. I think I will contact them about planting times etc and order some. After I measure from my tree to see if 900 ft falls in a decent location to grow them!

Latest posts