About those Onions

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
call In England, especially 60 or 70 years ago, you would locations have lots of different names for them:

Steve
who might start a thread with another map in the "rambling" forum
EC9pGbjWwAEiO-9.jpeg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
call In England, especially 60 or 70 years ago, you would locations have lots of different names for them:

Steve
who might start a thread with another map in the "rambling" forum

green onions. yum. wish i had some. :)

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We call them green onions here too. I used to have a patch of them that had naturalized in the berry patch until the vines shaded them too much. I use them for everything when I have them!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting choice of words I used 🤔 .

I remember being so sleepy 😴 that it was all I could do to finish the post, last night :). I will go back and see if the map can be enlarged.

After I thought to buy seed and grow them, the name "scallion" seemed to be how they were listed in the catalogs (if not "bunching"). The ones from sets were always "green" that became "bulb" onions. These other choices ... some, I have never seen. Gibblets?

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting choice of words I used 🤔 .

I remember being so sleepy 😴 that it was all I could do to finish the post, last night :). I will go back and see if the map can be enlarged.

After I thought to buy seed and grow them, the name "scallion" seemed to be how they were listed in the catalogs (if not "bunching"). The ones from sets were always "green" that became "bulb" onions. These other choices ... some, I have never seen. Gibblets?

Steve

it looks like wind/snow has been going through Idaho for a while now. you doing ok there? :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh sure, @flowerbug .

Wondering where to put this observation about my lawn grass but ... it doesn't seem to have gone dormant yet! Anyway, it's green. I know that in more exposed areas close by, the grass is yellow so ... the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence ;).

This is yet another morning with no frost. The recent light rain has probably been of benefit, although morning fog has been heavy. Some snow has fallen at local ski areas but several are still not open.

I checked on a southern Idaho city and it is about the same above-freezing current temperature although there was lots of recent wind. Even Stanley Idaho, at 6,500 feet (nearly 2,000 meters), is fairly close to defrosting. (Stanley is falling into single digitS' Fahrenheit soon, however!)

Friday, I had an important appointment. Gathered all sorts of information, half of which I didn't need ... Saturday, a drive to the pharmacy and then back home to try on a couple of pairs of pre-Christmas pj's that DW had bought me. Dozed off in the lazyboy and, at 8, awakened unsure if it was AM or PM 🙃 . Took a shower and went to bed.

Do other languages refer to pants and pajamas in the plural and as "pairs?" Curious

digitS'
in French, onions is oignons ... o, go on! No, it's true ... according to Google

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh sure, @flowerbug .

Wondering where to put this observation about my lawn grass but ... it doesn't seem to have gone dormant yet! Anyway, it's green. I know that in more exposed areas close by, the grass is yellow so ... the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence ;).

This is yet another morning with no frost. The recent light rain has probably been of benefit, although morning fog has been heavy. Some snow has fallen at local ski areas but several are still not open.

I checked on a southern Idaho city and it is about the same above-freezing current temperature although there was lots of recent wind. Even Stanley Idaho, at 6,500 feet (nearly 2,000 meters), is fairly close to defrosting. (Stanley is falling into single digitS' Fahrenheit soon, however!)

Friday, I had an important appointment. Gathered all sorts of information, half of which I didn't need ... Saturday, a drive to the pharmacy and then back home to try on a couple of pairs of pre-Christmas pj's that DW had bought me. Dozed off in the lazyboy and, at 8, awakened unsure if it was AM or PM 🙃 . Took a shower and went to bed.

Do other languages refer to pants and pajamas in the plural and as "pairs?" Curious

digitS'
in French, onions is oignons ... o, go on! No, it's true ... according to Google

all i know is very small bits of German and that things have genders, but i couldn't tell you who wears the pantses.