Acorn Squash - when to pick"

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a rather large patch of acorn squashes that are getting nice and large but still green. Temps are threatening to to freeze soon and its hard to go out there and cover them.. its a pretty big patch... Im wondering if I can pick them green and if they will ripen off the vine?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
As far as I know, they stay pretty green. Sometimes a blush of orange/yellow, but most of the squash remains dark green. Can you pick one, and cut it open to see if they are ready? I usually leave my winter squash right up until the frost danger, then pick them and bring them in for storage.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most winter squashes will finish ripening indoors.

There are several varieties and colors of acorn squashes. Some acorn squash varieties remain green, some get the orange blush on one side, and there are orange and white varieties.

When I lived in Montana, both at Twin Bridges and at Dillon, I ripened most of my winter squashes inside after harvesting before an expected frost. I grew some varieties that most others would not even try in zone barely 4. Some kinds don't ripen until after Christmas. Just keep them unbruised and room temperature.

Check on the hardness once in awhile. Use it before any major sudden softness.

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The photo on this page is what mine will look like when ready. Still they are a light green but well formed... in fact huge!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_squash
So I can pick them soon and they will ripen in a room temp environement over the winter?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would leave them out for as long as possible. Do you have frost predicted?

Latest posts