ACORN SQUASH WITH KALE AND SAUSAGE

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
dw found this one
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/acorn-squash-with-kale-and-sausage-51203850

51203850_acorn-squash-kale_1x1.jpg

background.png

Feel-good food: New research shows the vitamin C in acorn squash may help boost your mood.
YIELD
Serves 4
INGREDIENTS
    • 2 medium acorn squash, halved down the middle, seeds removed
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • Olive oil cooking spray
    • 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
    • 8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
    • 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, halved and sliced
    • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    • 4 cups tightly packed torn kale
    • 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    • 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan
    • 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs

PREPARATION
    1. Heat oven to 375°. Cut a thin slice off round side of each squash half to create a stable base. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; coat with cooking spray. Place squash flesh side down on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; bake until golden and tender, 30 minutes. Remove from oven; flip squash and set aside. Heat broiler. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Add sausage; cook, breaking into coarse pieces, until brown, 6 minutes; transfer to a bowl. To same skillet, add remaining 2 teaspoons oil and leek; cook until leek is soft, 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook, 30 seconds. Add kale and toss; add broth. Cover and cook until kale is tender, 5 minutes; stir in sausage. Divide kale-sausage filling among squash. In a bowl, combine walnuts, Parmesan and panko; sprinkle evenly over squash bowls and coat with cooking spray. Broil until panko is golden, 2 minutes.

Per serving: 376 calories, 17 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 47 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 17 g protein

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wish I could stop by for supper. That looks and sounds delicious! Of course, the chance that I will make something like that for myself is somewhere between zero and 0.00000%.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks easy and good. Last year I found acorn squash for .10 at our local produce stand/store. Will keep this in mind in case I find cheap squash.

Mary

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
that was delicious , dw used mild turkey sausage and skipped the walnuts . we both said it needed a little more broth

Wish I could stop by for supper. That looks and sounds delicious! Of course, the chance that I will make something like that for myself is somewhere between zero and 0.00000%.

red you really need to give a try at least once it's a very simple recipe...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can Vitamin C improve your mood? Mayo Clinic

I didn't know that! If you are deficient in the vitamin but who isn't now and then with that one, since we cannot store it.

However! The kale has 4 times the vitamin C as squash ;).

We've got the kale and the leeks and often have that Italian sausage in the fridge. It's good in Portuguese kale soup :).

Steve

Latest posts