Add honey to your bread

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I've been baking a lot of bread lately. I switched to a high fiber flour, and I starting adding honey to the rest of the ingredients (including sugar for the yeast), and it gives it a nice flavor. A local steak restaurant sells their frozen rolls to bake, and we realized that this was their "secret" ingredient.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite bread recipe calls for honey instead of sugar, for the yeast. I'm getting hungry for some, just thinking about it.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Honey is hydroscopic (pulls moisture out of the air) so it helps keep the bread soft longer.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I add honey to my breads with multiple grains and whole wheats, always makes them softer. LOVE :love

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Glad you brought this up! I'm going to be making a bunch of zucchini bread, and I've noticed when I use honey in place of sugar, the edges get brown really quickly. How can I stop it? I put foil over the top, but the bottom tends to get burnt.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Always add about 2 TBS of honey to my half and half whole wheat, white bread...Delish!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Glad you brought this up! I'm going to be making a bunch of zucchini bread, and I've noticed when I use honey in place of sugar, the edges get brown really quickly. How can I stop it? I put foil over the top, but the bottom tends to get burnt.
I'd try moving it higher in the oven so all of the heat isn't concentrated at the bottom. It takes a while to find the right place in an oven where the heat is even. I'd start by trying to center it in your oven as near as possible.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Thanks, Hoodat. I'll give that a try.
The sweet spot in the oven isn't always right at the center but that's a good place to start. It also makes a difference whether you are using metal or glass bread pans. The glass ones dissipate heat more evenly but if you like a crunchy crust you have to use the tin ones.