added an 8 by 16 no dig potato garden, what do you think?

Neko-Chan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We don't have voles...we have possums. In a matter of a few nights, they mowed down our Brussels Sprouts! :he The problem with them is they are nocturnal, so you hardly ever see them, they climb, so they can get right over the fence, and they're protected down here, so you can't shoot them (and even if you did, they are teritorial, so another would just move in).

My brassicas are getting netting draped over them next year.

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Neko-Chan said:
We don't have voles...we have possums. In a matter of a few nights, they mowed down our Brussels Sprouts! :he The problem with them is they are nocturnal, so you hardly ever see them, they climb, so they can get right over the fence, and they're protected down here, so you can't shoot them (and even if you did, they are teritorial, so another would just move in).

My brassicas are getting netting draped over them next year.
Wow, you can't shoot them? It's not like they are endanger we have more than our share.

Don. Suffering from record high heat 112 yesterday

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Possum was once a popular dish on Amerian dinner tables. Similar to pork roast. Can't wait to try it.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
A cat that hunts is pretty good insurance against rodents. Ours catch a ton of mice and voles and I witnessed one of the lazier males catching a gopher one afternoon this spring. Yaaa cat!!
I have a very deep loathing for gophers so I stood there and cheered him on. Unfortunately the silly cat messed around and the gopher took off, but our border collie x saved the day, caught the errant rodent and swallowed it whole!
Yaaa dog!!
I guess my straw isnt very thick in my garden but I havent noticed any mice... but we have 3 farm cats that don't get fed unless we see them mousing... dont want them so full on kibble they dont go mousing!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunsaver said:
Possum was once a popular dish on Amerian dinner tables. Similar to pork roast. Can't wait to try it.
LOL, you can have mine! I'm sure they're very fat and juicy from feasting on my chickens, their eggs, and their feed. :lol:

Neko-Chan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ah, but I'm not in America any more. In Oz, apparently their possums mean something to them. (Admittedly, the possums down here are decidedly more handsome beasts than the American possum.)

I have tried possum (they're a pest in New Zealand, so they're shot regular for meat and fur). It ain't much.

The community garden has discussed getting electric wire for the fencing. Slight flaw to their plan though. There's a power pole or something outside the fence, and the wire goes over the fence to a shed inside. It'd only be a matter of time before the possums figured that out, I'm sure.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Neko-Chan said:
Ah, but I'm not in America any more. In Oz, apparently their possums mean something to them. (Admittedly, the possums down here are decidedly more handsome beasts than the American possum.)

I have tried possum (they're a pest in New Zealand, so they're shot regular for meat and fur). It ain't much.

The community garden has discussed getting electric wire for the fencing. Slight flaw to their plan though. There's a power pole or something outside the fence, and the wire goes over the fence to a shed inside. It'd only be a matter of time before the possums figured that out, I'm sure.
You could install a baffle on the line like people do to keep squirrels from getting into their houses from the power lines, and like ships do to keep rats from boarding on the mooring lines.

Latest posts