Advice for Starting/Growing Peppers?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
When cotyledons cannot separate on peppers and tomatoes,

I separate them. It isn't all that difficult even for fumbling digitS'. Leaving them joined seems to really impede the seedling's growth.

Removing them is something else ... I've read that older/lower leaves contribute little to a plant's photosynthesis needs. Beans have such large cotyledons that what @seedcorn is telling us makes sense.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Like @digitS' , I too (gently) separate cotyledons which are stuck together (regardless of species) because that tends to impair the growth of the first true leaves.

For members of the bean family, those cotyledons contain some nutrition to help the seedling get established - but do not contribute as much via photosynthesis. IMO those cotyledons compare to egg whites. They fall off soon after germination, their work done.

For peppers & tomatoes, the cotyledons grow (by several hundred percent), turn dark green, and act as the first leaves. They fall off on their own once the first true leaves are healthy enough for the seedling to be self-supporting. I see no need to remove them from the plant prematurely; but once dropped - which is presumably while still indoors - I remove those cotyledons (and any other leaves, such as thinnings) to reduce the chances of mold.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I will be patient then, and remove them only once they have separated from the seedlings. Thank you all for these helpful suggestions!

P.S. 4 weeks in, and the cotyledons are indeed turning yellow and falling off on their own :thumbsup

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One more tip for starting peppers: pay close attention to the days to maturity. I was operating on the assumption that sweet peppers don't take nearly as long to get started as do hot chili peppers, and then I happened to look up the DTM for a sweet pepper variety that is new for me this year. It is called Stocky Red Roaster, developed by Wild Garden Seed's Frank Morton. The days to maturity is 102!! Well THAT was a shocker; 60-70 days seems to be the norm for the other smallish sweet peppers that I grow. I dropped everything and got those seeds in the soil. Let's hope they germinate.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One more tip for starting peppers: pay close attention to the days to maturity. I was operating on the assumption that sweet peppers don't take nearly as long to get started as do hot chili peppers, and then I happened to look up the DTM for a sweet pepper variety that is new for me this year. It is called Stocky Red Roaster, developed by Wild Garden Seed's Frank Morton. The days to maturity is 102!! Well THAT was a shocker; 60-70 days seems to be the norm for the other smallish sweet peppers that I grow. I dropped everything and got those seeds in the soil. Let's hope they germinate.
Dang!

That is not 102 days to maturity, it is 102 days AFTER transplanting!

Thank you SO MUCH for bringing this to our attention. I would have never guessed.

This is our Red Italian with refinement — selected for straight uncrumpled sides, smooth skin, thicker walls, and a rich red color. By far the quickest for uniform roasting and easy skin removal, and the thicker flesh holds up well to fire. Fruits are 6-7" long, 2¼" broad at the crown, sweet, heavy fruiting, and long keeping. Fewest seeds of all these types. Mature 102 days post-trans. at OSU/Corvallis, OR. Farm Original Variety!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our season length can very considerably too, which is why I tend to start even sweet peppers quite early and pinch them. The forced branching will help compensate for the shortness of the season, so I can gather more peppers even though I can't give the plants as much time as they might need to do that in a longer season zone.
Just wondering if you might be able to suggest some variety specific pruning tips for me please? The first one I am wondering about is Grandpa's Siberian Home Pepper. Mine are about 4" tall and just beginning to set buds. According to the description the mature height will be 18". Would you advise snipping off the main stem, and removing flowers until the plant grows a bit taller? Thank you for any tips that you can offer.

Attachments

• IMG_20230216_073842514.jpg
    IMG_20230216_073842514.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20230216_071616579_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230216_071616579_HDR.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 80

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just wondering if you might be able to suggest some variety specific pruning tips for me please? The first one I am wondering about is Grandpa's Siberian Home Pepper. Mine are about 4" tall and just beginning to set buds. According to the description the mature height will be 18". Would you advise snipping off the main stem, and removing flowers until the plant grows a bit taller? Thank you for any tips that you can offer.
That sounds about right @Branching Out. I was watching a pepper pruning video recently and the fellow was snipping the crown off about 4 main 'branches' (leaves) up, which is close to where I do it. Your plants look like they are roundabout that place. I would knock off their whole top centers, including all buds. I keep all flower buds pinched until I think the plants are big enough to handle making fruit, which usually a long way off. If you find the two new growth tips that form get a bit lanky or make buds, you can cut them again too to keep promoting the lateral branching.

Reading the Atlantic Pepper Seed site the other day, I came across a little tidbit that I've probably always missed in reading about growing peppers - that bonemeal is the 'magic' addition. I actually went out and bought a bag today to start adding to my pots. I wonder if I'll notice a difference since I've never used bonemeal in my life for anything. It might explain why sometimes I get the odd pepper plant that isn't a good producer, or the fruits are missing seeds, especially bells. Always something new to learn!

eta: I think you'll like that variety! I've grown it alot and it always drowns me in peppers! lol

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That sounds about right @Branching Out. I was watching a pepper pruning video recently and the fellow was snipping the crown off about 4 main 'branches' (leaves) up, which is close to where I do it. Your plants look like they are roundabout that place. I would knock off their whole top centers, including all buds. I keep all flower buds pinched until I think the plants are big enough to handle making fruit, which usually a long way off. If you find the two new growth tips that form get a bit lanky or make buds, you can cut them again too to keep promoting the lateral branching.

Reading the Atlantic Pepper Seed site the other day, I came across a little tidbit that I've probably always missed in reading about growing peppers - that bonemeal is the 'magic' addition. I actually went out and bought a bag today to start adding to my pots. I wonder if I'll notice a difference since I've never used bonemeal in my life for anything. It might explain why sometimes I get the odd pepper plant that isn't a good producer, or the fruits are missing seeds, especially bells. Always something new to learn!

eta: I think you'll like that variety! I've grown it alot and it always drowns me in peppers! lol
I kind of like the sound of drowning in peppers, and look forward to that. Thanks for these helpful tips Heirloomgal. Last year I tried pruning my jalapenos for the first time but I only ever pruned the one time, reluctantly. It seemed so brutal at the time-- off with their heads! But I did it, and they survived. I will give the multiple pruning technique a try this year.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reading the Atlantic Pepper Seed site the other day, I came across a little tidbit that I've probably always missed in reading about growing peppers - that bonemeal is the 'magic' addition.
Just bumped my tiny Stocky Red Roaster peppers up to small 6-cells and added bonemeal as you have suggested. I also bumped them up far sooner than I typically would have done, given what others have said on this thread and also after watching Phaedra prick out her little vegetable starts. Now their roots will have more room to stretch down. Somehow I managed to knock off one of the seed leaves, so now that plant only has one left. Looks kind of like a three-legged dog. I hope it will still be able to grow and thrive. 🤞

Latest posts