Advice on Blueberry plants

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Where to plant them for best production?
What kind to get?
Any advice would be appreciated.

I had my first ever FRESH PICKED ones this summer and thought they were fantastic. So will be getting some plants soon.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi rockytopsis,

The variety of blueberry depends on what your looking for, like big yields, small berry size or large berry size, hardiness, etc...

I have a variety called Coville that i picked because of the fact it blooms late, so spring frosts wouldn't be a problem where i am. Blueberries also turn beautiful in the fall, some red, orange, dark red, etc..
And also for best production you will need at least two plants.

Hope this helps!!;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My mother has several 'wild' varieties in the back of her property... #1 thing to do:

If you want to get any while they're in season, you HAVE to cover them with bird netting or they will finish off the whole plant before you can get some!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
My mother has several 'wild' varieties in the back of her property... #1 thing to do:

If you want to get any while they're in season, you HAVE to cover them with bird netting or they will finish off the whole plant before you can get some!
Hey vfem,
Blueberries are native to north carolina right?? I would think that the acid from the clay help the blueberries grow better, thinking about planting plenty of these in my property down nc. I guess i wouldn't have to worry about amending the soil to acidify it. Clay has plenty of it.
On my property there are these wild blackberries, i wasn't sure if it was safe to eat, otherwise i would of enjoyed myself.

Latest posts