Advice on starting seeds and artifical light

Herechickchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am going to start seeds indoors (flowers and Veggies). Last year I did this on my dining room table but I can not do that this year. I am going to start them in an extra building off of my garage but I am concerned about the amount of light. Thoughts on this set up ? Is it worth the investment? Any other advice would be great.

Thanks

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks like a mighty pricey setup Herechick. I'm no expert on this
but I bought a 2 light 4' long florescent shop light at Walmart for $15. Then you'd need a table of some sort to set your plants on etc. But you should be able to get by for a lot less. I'm sure others on here will give you some great tips.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, don't waste your money... I have the same set up as Thistlebloom--$15 shop lights from walmart. Get the bulbs there too. You don't need any special bulb, as long as they are getting enough lumens (and the shop lights are plenty). I hang mine from the ceiling, but you could rig up some sort of little cart for them too. They come with little chains that you can use to adjust their height. Keep the bulb about 2" off the seedlings as they grow.

You may need to sprout them inside first where it's warm 70-75 degrees (no additional light needed at that time). And as long as your room off the garage is warm enough (don't let them get too cold/freezing), you'll be fine. :cool:

Herechickchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will look into making my own and saving some $$$$. I can sprout them in the house, that is no problem. I just can't have a full on green house in my dining room again, it was too much. I have a heat lamp I can turn on in the event the temps will drop to much in the room.

Latest posts