Advise needed on planting potatoes in plastic 55 gallon drums

VT Chicklit

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have heard that you can plant potatoes in plastic 55 gallon drums using a layering method. I am interested in finding out how this is done. Does there need to be holes in the drum or do you remove the bottom of the drum. What is a layering method? How many seed potatoes are used in each drum. How much soil do you put in the bottom of the barrel to start? Does anyone know of a web site that gives instructions?

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've read that potatoes grow on the roots nearest the top of the ground. Some people use a mound technique, but i have also read of a method of planting the tomato in a ditch. As the plant grows, you go about filling the ditch in. This supposedly stimulate new roots to grow in from the stem thats freshly covered in dirt. Since the new roots are closer to the top, they will develop patatoes in addition to those roots that were previously close to the surface.

using my powers of deduction id say that this layering technique is the same principal, but applied to growing the plant in a large container.

I'm interested to see how far off the mark I am.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I grew potatoes in large round concrete rings the last couple of years. The rings are about 2 ft across and 2 ft. high. I put a layer of good dirt about 6 inches deep in the bottom and covered the potates with another couple of inches. Then all summer I just keep adding a couple of inches of dirt and straw etc. every couple of weeks. When tops die back you can just roll the concrete ring onto its side and rake out the dirt and potatoes! Worked pretty well but I think I would like more height this year so I am going to try it with containers made of chicken wire. Someone on here said you could line them with straw as you mounded the dirt up. Sounds interesting...
I also grew some potates in 5 gallon buckets with the same method but you don't really get enough potatoes to bother with. Might be ok for a kids project

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I experimented with this last year.

The most important thing to have is really good drainage!

In my experiment, wood containers worked MUCH better than plastic ones.

I had four beds -
1. A 8'x2' wooden raised bed that was topped off with soil and wooden sides that were gradually added throught out the year. - This was the winner at least 50% more potatoes in this bed. - I don't know where the pic is of this one :(

2. 2'x4' raised bed with netting sides. I added straw and soil as the potatoes grew. - This won 2nd place. Although, it was hard to keep moist and the potato beetles loved to hide and multiply in the straw. :barnie

3. Plastic storage container with drainage holes added to the bottom. This got 3rd place, but it was hard to keep a good balance between moist and rotting. Also, the potatoes were smaller and mis-shapen.

4. A plastic garbage can with drainage holes added to the bottom. This was a failure!! Maybe it was too deep or the small ridge around the bottom of the can was holding water, but the potatoes started to rot. :sick I had to dump them out and they really stunk! Some of the potatoes weren't rotten so I replanted them in another plastic container.

3288348460_2e4cd32d57.jpg
This is #2 before I put the netting and straw on.

3287529679_0116772b18.jpg
This is #3

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
has anyone tried to grow potatoes in old tires???
I've heard of it but don't really like the idea of what might leach out of tires. :(

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Catalina said:
I experimented with this last year.

The most important thing to have is really good drainage!

In my experiment, wood containers worked MUCH better than plastic ones.

I had four beds -
1. A 8'x2' wooden raised bed that was topped off with soil and wooden sides that were gradually added throught out the year. - This was the winner at least 50% more potatoes in this bed. - I don't know where the pic is of this one :(

2. 2'x4' raised bed with netting sides. I added straw and soil as the potatoes grew. - This won 2nd place. Although, it was hard to keep moist and the potato beetles loved to hide and multiply in the straw. :barnie

3. Plastic storage container with drainage holes added to the bottom. This got 3rd place, but it was hard to keep a good balance between moist and rotting. Also, the potatoes were smaller and mis-shapen.

4. A plastic garbage can with drainage holes added to the bottom. This was a failure!! Maybe it was too deep or the small ridge around the bottom of the can was holding water, but the potatoes started to rot. :sick I had to dump them out and they really stunk! Some of the potatoes weren't rotten so I replanted them in another plastic container.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3390/3288348460_2e4cd32d57.jpg This is #2 before I put the netting and straw on.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3237/3287529679_0116772b18.jpg This is #3
I want to see if I am getting this right.. After these grow a little you would cover the leaves with dirt again.. causing it to grow roots where you just put the dirt..

then you would wait till more leaves then cover with more dirt?

how many times would you do this?

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
Catalina said:

Yes- you cover the leaves with dirt. Then they grow some more and you cover with a little more dirt.
I kept doing it all summer long, maybe once a week, until Fall when it was time to harvest them.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Catalina said:
smom1976 said:
Catalina said:

Yes- you cover the leaves with dirt. Then they grow some more and you cover with a little more dirt.
I kept doing it all summer long, maybe once a week, until Fall when it was time to harvest them.
I don't cover them that often. More like every 3 weeks for me. Don't cover them clear up either. Leave at least 6-8' of plant above the cover.