Aesthetic Edible landscaping...suggestions and/or photos??

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We are needing some curb appeal, but I am having a hard time planting a non-edible garden. I would love some advice on a way to use that space for aesthetics and consumption. My front yard gets fantastic full sun. I have a 3 foot by 30 foot raised bed garden area In front of my house that is empty right now and needs to be used. There are some other smaller beds as well but this is the main area. We have even considered doing wheat...so I'm open to any and all ideas. I live In ks, zone 5.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rhubarb has very attractive leaves. I use it in problem areas.

I planted flowering kale last year. It is pretty and edible.

Nasturtium flowers are pretty AND edible.

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am going all edible or medicinal this year, too. I await all suggestions too. :pop

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am doing some rainbow swiss chard, bok choy and cabbage! I think they all are pretty. :D

Hibiscus is nice, and good for tea I've been told... I haven't made any tea from ours though.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Summer squashes make a showy plant with large, lush leaves. And what is prettier than a big tomato plant covered in red tomatoes? Just use something to support it that blends in or is decorative. I used a green t-post and wired a large tomato ring to it. These two types of plants were my foundation "bushes."

Instead of planting in rows, plant in small, round clusters, like you would with flowers. Plant for the size and shape of the veggie plant. Then put some smaller annuals in between and in front, such as marigolds for bug control and as WZ said, nasturtiums which are also edible.

Sage adds interest with its bluish leaves. I also planted herbs like lemon balm, parsley, mints, feverfew, thyme, chamomile, etc.

I put in a large bed of strawberries in front of foundation plantings of the above plants and it looked great. I used a garden hose to create a pleasing curve (I used the topline of my favorite mare as inspiration for the shape), then dug out the lawn and edged it with bricks. I planted strawberries in a mat rather than in rows, and edged the entire bed with dark pink petunias. It was quite pretty.

Did I take pictures? Of course not! Icky, rainy summer, and I rarely thought to take out the camera....maybe this year!

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have currant bushes and strawberries in the front right now.I planted some asparagus last year.The first year I planted some amaranth(sp).I think it was the golden one,and it looked really neat.

Here is my picasa pages so you can check some things out.Every year there was something different.That plant in the July 5 2009 is lovage.Awesome herb plant that grows tall,and smells like celery.The lettuce circle(september 2007) was made after I left a kiddie pool on the grass to long.I had fun with that.I moved my lettuce to the driveway garden,and the lettuce circle now has chives,asparagus,parsley,and some strawberries that I need to move.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mattemma06

I try to do tall plants towards the road,and then work smaller plants in toward the house.Flax plants are pretty.I eat flax seed,so I had plenty to throw around.Feed store flax is even cheaper.Chia,millet,broomcorn.So many things to plant! Have fun with it.My only regret is not spreading out seedling bushes,and not making sure I liked the spot I picked.I am spending this spring moving bushes around,and praying the big ones(like my corkscrew willow) survive.

Oh that reminds me-nanking cherry bushes are good.I like blueberry too,but they always die on me.I did not plant in the front,but buckwheat,ground cherry,tomatillo,and coriander looked nice.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lettuces are lovely, get a selection of different colors and shapes and plant them where the space will get covered by squash (or etc) vines later in the season once the lettuces are gone.

Bright lights chard (or any other colored cultivar) is gorgeous, if you like neon type colors.

Rhubarb is pretty until about mid-August (here anyhow) and then it all turns yellow and goes "flup" :p

Asparagus foliage is actually lovely and quite useful in a decorative garden, being one of the few tall airy fine-foliaged things available.

Most herbs are reasonably attractive, at least the first half of the summer (and can be cut back to regrow shorter denser mounds of foliage, in most cases, if you don't like the straggly look of August)

Amelanchier (shadblow, saskatoons, juneberry, whatever you wanna call it) is a WONDERFUL 4-season decorative plant as well as having yummy berries -- however you will probably not get to eat many, if any, of the berries, b/c the birds will get them.

Blueberry is an excellent ornamental but one must have the correct, acid, humusy soil for it.

Elderberry is another good ornamental, although the cultivars *sold* as ornamentals are sterile or fruit poorly. Regular and rigorous pruning can help keep a plain ol' elderberry from getting scrawny and huge and out of control.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts