Afraid to go near my rabbit

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It isn't that she's mean; it's just I'm afraid she might explode in my face. She's at day 29 and she looks like a soccer ball with ears. I'm hoping she'll get it done tonight. She was kind of off her feed today. Maybe I'll wake up to pinkies in the nest.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny post! Can't wait to see pics of the babies. I hope they'll all do well.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is her first time. So far she's done everything right. She has a nice hay nest built. I just hope she pulls the hair to line it and does the feeding.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We were talking about maybe getting a few rabbits. Our daughters face lit up and said "Can I name one Thumper?!" :/

I don't know that we will be getting into meat rabbits for a while... :lol:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
She kindled last night. It's a little wet and chilly right now so I didn't want to uncover them longer than to take a quick peek. It's either 5 or 6 and I didn't see any dead or runts. Their skin has black spots so I guess they'll be marked in checks like their daddy. The doe is a broken New Zealand with red markings on her face. It would be nice if a few red markings showed on the young along with the black checks. That would make for sort of a calico rabbit. She went in to fed them this morning so everything is looking good.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
How exciting! I guess I didn't realize how quickly you could start "meat rabbits". At what age would you process them?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
How exciting! I guess I didn't realize how quickly you could start "meat rabbits". At what age would you process them?
If I want fryers I usually process them around 6 or 8 weeks, for roasters about 10 to 12. After that they are only good for stew. Nothing wrong with rabbit stew though.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Holy! I had no idea it was that quick. Do you can or freeze them- or just eat fresh?

Latest posts