African Violet Thread!!!!

I'm A Gardener :)

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is a thread for discussing, posting pics, etc. of African Violets....

I'll start!!!

I just picked my first one up this morning....
7876_african_violet_1_001.jpg

It's super tiny (2 1/2 inch pot)!!!!!!!!

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You've got a mini :)

I have a cutting thats been in a pot for a couple of months. No new growth but the cutting itself is very healthy so I know its not dying.

I also have a white/pink splashed one.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love those tiny ones! I have had quite a few through the years. I kept my grandmother's alive for about 10 years, but the whiteflies finally got them. I think they enjoy being on a tray with small rocks and water. I am sure you know you shouldn't get water on the leaves... I love a houseplant that consistently flowers! What more can you ask for? Enjoy!

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yep, I read up on them quite a bit so then I can keep its pretty flowers alive :D :fl

Any yes, it is a mini. The fancy name for it is "Optimitra (sp?) Azurite Mini" from woodhill greenhouses!!!!!!!! I love it, they're such pretty flowers!!!

ThisOldCabin

Sprout
Reaction score
I have one that was my grandmothers and two she gave me as cutting.I just love how they bloom all the time.I need to re-pot mine but I am afraid I will hurt/kill them.I know they make special soil for them but I've never used it and don't wait to stress mine.I would love to see some tips on that.I am thinking I need to make some cutting myself,too and wonder when to do that?Thanks for starting this thread.I had wondered if anyone else kept some.:caf

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just love African Violets! I have one that is huge and blooms the most beautiful deep purple flowers all the time. It was given to me by an elderly neighbor whose mother had passed on. It was in terrible condition when I got it - scrawny, poor color, etc - but it is apparently a survivor because it took off growing and never looked back. I know you are supposed to divide them if they grow into more than one plant, but I love the way it fills out the pot and has flowers all around the entire thing most of the time. I use Miracle Grow African Violet food in the water every time I water, and I water from the bottom. That's about it. What does everyone else do to take care of their violets?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had violets for decades. And orchids. I wash my violets about 3 times a year, with luke warm water, sprinkling the leaves to wash off the dust and everyday grime. They love it!

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good idea, Murphysranch. They do get kinda dusty. I've never tried orchids - don't think I have the patience.

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've heard you can use a toothbrush or a small brush to take off the dust... I need to do that soon!!!! I've also heard that water on the leaves creates spots!!!!

PS I'm gonna try an orchid soon!

Latest posts