After 3 Trips to the Flea Market.......

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
....I got lucky and Babygirl, FINALLY, has some new chicks.

6615_0102.jpg

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As they say in Okahoma,"Now you gone and went an did it". Chickens can take over your life if you let them.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Congratulations, they are sooo cute. Looks like you have some Easter Eggers and possibly Barred Rocks?
How old are they? Are they sexed? One of them looks kind of roo-ish to me.
I hope you guys enjoy them, chickens are fun to own.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are the best grandpa!! They will be really tame- because I guarantee she won't be able to keep her hands off them!!! Too cute!

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
You are the best grandpa!! They will be really tame- because I guarantee she won't be able to keep her hands off them!!! Too cute!
Yep, lesa...She is over here, right now, nussin em and is spending the night. (LOL) Gonna be some super tired chicks when she goes home tomorrow.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are 3 RIR/Barred Rock mixes, 5 Americanas and 2 Marans. Don't know there age, but they all have wing feathers. The guy I got them from tried to help me pick out hens but we won't know for sure until........

He said that he was certain that the 3 RIR/Barred Rocks were hens as all he had raised from that pair that were black were hens and red were roosters. As far as our "swag" (scientific wild azz guess) in sexing the others......rounded wing feathers (hens), pointed wing feathers (roosters). We will have to wait and see. Keeping my fingers crossed.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
As they say in Okahoma,"Now you gone and went an did it". Chickens can take over your life if you let them.
Scared to say it, hoo....but I believe that I'm more excited about it than she is.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The marans look like hens to me because the maran roosters develop very quickly, you usually know within two weeks but the barred rocks I questioned because the males are born with the big round white spots on their heads and the females have very small spots if any at all. Also one has more tail development, which quite often is the female.
Barred rocks are the easiest to sex at hatching.
I have never heard of wing feathers being pointy or rounded as sexing chickens. You can go by the saddle feathers to sex them but that takes a while for them to grow out.
The males get feathers that are long and pointy that drape down from their backs like a saddle.
Personally, I like having roosters around. They are good protection for the hens and I like to hear their crowing, albeit not at 4:00 in the morning but.....
Your chickens will be very well socialized having a little one to handle them so much, my daughter use to pull the chicks around in a wagon or push them in her doll carriage.