Air filtration system for grow tent?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few months ago, my husband brought home an air filtration system for my greenhouse. It's got a fan and duct which is cool I can use that, but I'm not sure what the purpose of filtering the air would be for my plants. Isn't that kinda their job?

Or maybe its to filter the air going out so I'm not ejecting dust from potting soil into the air? I'm not sure what the point is.

Milosevich Garden

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Are we talking about a Grow Tent or Greenhouse?

On a Grow Tent a filter (carbon filter) can filter the air going into the tent or out of the tent.
Filtering air going out of the tent helps with plant, soil and nutrient smells.
Filtering air going into the tent will cut down on impurities and air-borne pathogens th

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
air circulation is about the only reason i'd want something like that. potting soil dust is a minor and temporary issue not worth having a filter system in place for unless i were doing a lot of potting in just one area (i'd then have to block/screen it off and only filter the air in that space as i'd not want that dust going all over the place if i had a larger greenhouse).

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
One reason to have filters is to protect moving parts. Particles in the air can grind them down. Is the filter set up to protect a motor?

Do you have a link that shows how it is set up? Maybe the manufacturer or seller has a website.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are we talking about a Grow Tent or Greenhouse?

On a Grow Tent a filter (carbon filter) can filter the air going into the tent or out of the tent.
Filtering air going out of the tent helps with plant, soil and nutrient smells.
Filtering air going into the tent will cut down on impurities and air-borne pathogens th

It's a grow tent. My husband got me one 3-4 years ago because I'd be out optimistically checking my garden soil temperature in January. I keep it set up year round in my garage.

air circulation is about the only reason i'd want something like that. potting soil dust is a minor and temporary issue not worth having a filter system in place for unless i were doing a lot of potting in just one area (i'd then have to block/screen it off and only filter the air in that space as i'd not want that dust going all over the place if i had a larger greenhouse).

I have a fan to keep air circulating, because I do have a problem with lack of circulation in the tent. It's one of the bigger grow tents, but it's not really big enough to comfortably pot in. In the summer I pot outside, and in the winter I'll hunch in there and hope the toddler doesn't come in to help.

One reason to have filters is to protect moving parts. Particles in the air can grind them down. Is the filter set up to protect a motor?

Do you have a link that shows how it is set up? Maybe the manufacturer or seller has a website.

I can take a picture. I've actually had the set up for a reaaallly long time but I had no idea what it was for. My husband just gave it to me with no more information about it, so I'm afraid I just thought it was a random thing and stored it in a broken freezer. >.< I only found it yesterday when my husband and I are finaaalllly cleaning everything out.

He asked if I didn't want it, and I'm like...I don't know if I don't want it. I didn't know what it was. Let me go ask the gardeners, haha.

Milosevich Garden

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use a grow tent to start a lot of my vegetable seeds, it's 2x4x6 +/- so right around 48 ft3 (48 cubic feet). Ideally I need to replace the 48 ft3 of air in my tent 1 to 3 times a minute with fresh air in order to have good air quality within the tent BUT I don't want to just pull the air in from the room that the tent is in, that air may be fine in a large area like a kitchen, dining room or garage but when that air is confined in a smaller area like my tent and everything is then magnified a great deal so the air within the tent can be stale or contaminated and in turn I'll have poor germination and/or poor plant quality and growth. I am a firm believer that in order to have good quality plants that are healthy in a tent you need, proper; temperature, humidity, lighting, soil moisture, air circulation and air filtration.

Like I said I have a tent that is 48 ft3, I run a 195 cfm (cubic feet per minute) fan with a carbon filer on my tent so it replaces the inside tent air around 3.5 times a minute and I have a good quality air filter on the exhaust vent so that the air leaving the tent is to a point filtered also. Along with this I run two 6 inch fans inside my tent circulating the air with in tent. My air quality in the ten is good to excellent and I can see a difference in the plants.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cutting to the chase here: air filtration‘s primary function is to keep the neighbors from smelling that smell; that would tip them off if you are growing weed! Typically exhausting thru a wall to the outside or back into the living space, if you live in multi family housing!

Last edited:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cutting to the chase here: air filtration‘s primary function is to keep the neighbors from smelling that smell; that would tip them off if you are growing weed! Typically exhausting thru a wall to the outside or back into the living space, if you live in multi family housing!

Aaaah, it all makes sense. The person my husband got it from does grow weed, and probably assumed that's what we were doing with our grow tent. The worst smell that comes from in there is the strong scent of tomato leaves.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Aaaah, it all makes sense. The person my husband got it from does grow weed, and probably assumed that's what we were doing with our grow tent. The worst smell that comes from in there is the strong scent of tomato leaves.
I absolutely hate the smell if this skunk, it sometimes whafts in too my bathroom and kitchen filters. Tomatoes could never smell as bad. :sick