Air Movement

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of online reading about growing certain items and there is a phrase that I keep running into alot that I am not sure that I understand.

A raised elevation with good air movement will help reduce fungus diseases and increase surface water drainage
Air movement. I came across it in this Texas A&M STUDY as well as several other articles. Does it just mean that it needs to be in a place where the wind can blow?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm guessing you are like me... I was researching Grapes and I came across this a LOT! Its asking you to have a wind buffer that softens the strong winds for you when it comes to the grape vine gaining strength!

Don't surround them by trees because they need the sun, but a few distant trees, or covered fencing or a high number of grapes going will great something to break the winds that come in so they are not so strong.

I hope that helps.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some reasonably nice delphinium plants. The ones that grow on the west end of the perennial garden are the best.

Then there's another patch of them. They are back near a 6' board fence and also close to a lilac that is about 8-10 feet tall. On the other side of that lilac is another 6' fence. I've even got more tall perennials on a 3rd side of these delphiniums.

I may as well pull the delphiniums out . . . or, tear down the board fence and rip up the lilac. Delph's can get mildew baaad! The fence and plants that surround them block air movement and just encourage this fungal disease. The plants start off okay and may actually have a few blooms then the mildew overwhelms them.

At the other end of this garden, maybe it's a bit windy and there's a risk of the stems breaking in a storm but those delphiniums are nice, big, beautiful plants with large flowers. Meanwhile, their unhealthy sisters . . .

I like to grow calendulas - another mildew-prone plant. They are annuals so if they are crowded and sick by summer, it is my fault for having planted them in too tight.

Same thing with zucchini - can't crowd 'em or it's just reducing air movement and encouraging mildew.

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, you want light breezes but not serious wind. So, not entirely out in the open if you're in a windy site (but if you're not, out in the open is *fine*) -- just not behind SOLID windbreaks (i.e. not tucked up against the lee of a house or solid fence or very thick impenetrable hedge). Also not too jam-packed with vegetation -- plants will mildew worse in crowded plantings than sparser ones.

Pat

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks to alll of you. Yes I was researching grapes, Muscadines to be exact. I am going to do 7 vines and I just want to do everything correctly. I want to make muscadine wine. I already got 1 gallon of apple wine brewing, 1 gallon of honey/orange wine(mead really) brewing and 6 gallons of Blackberry Cabernet brewing

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It means you should not, should not plant like I do. :D I can't stand seeing all that open dirt and keep on tucking seeds here and there, forgetting every single year how big those seeds eventually become! Air movement is about giving the plants a little space so breezes can blow through them and prevent diseases, molds and other ickies.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They need to breath just like us and they dont want to be crowded just like us...if they are planted too close together the wet leaves will not be able to dry off before evening and will be suceptable [sp] to fungi and virues' ....all plants have a recomended spacing...that is the guide you should go by...

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
They need to breath just like us and they dont want to be crowded just like us...if they are planted too close together the wet leaves will not be able to dry off before evening and will be suceptable [sp] to fungi and virues' ....all plants have a recomended spacing...that is the guide you should go by...
I know this is a different subject but I noticed the above statement (highlighted in red) and was wondering about my watering habits. I water in the morning and I water in the evening. Am I messing up watering in the evening?

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Actually all watering should be close to the root systems as in drip irrigation and not over head as in sprinklers... if you use a sprinkler you should do it early enough so the breezes can dry the leaves before moon rise...
also you shouldnt have to water twice a day if you are watering deep enough... ie...an inch or more at a time...

If you use a sprinkler try putting a can out at the far edge of the spray and see how long it takes to fill the can an inch and remember most of the water is being evaporated into the air while you are running the sprinkler...you will be surprised how long it takes

soaker hose or drip irrigation is much more effecient...especially in a hot climate like Texas...

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
Actually all watering should be close to the root systems as in drip irrigation and not over head as in sprinklers... if you use a sprinkler you should do it early enough so the breezes can dry the leaves before moon rise...
also you shouldnt have to water twice a day if you are watering deep enough... ie...an inch or more at a time...

If you use a sprinkler try putting a can out at the far edge of the spray and see how long it takes to fill the can an inch and remember most of the water is being evaporated into the air while you are running the sprinkler...you will be surprised how long it takes

soaker hose or drip irrigation is much more effecient...especially in a hot climate like Texas...
I guess I need to investigate a soaker hose. I water with a hose and a nozzle. I walk along and water each row. I am going to quit the night time thing and just put more water down in the morning unless I get the soaker hose thing. I guess those can be found at Lowes/Home Depot plant department?

Latest posts